Author Topic: Raysonic cd players  (Read 10564 times)

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Raysonic cd players
« on: February 07, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
anyone compare the raysonic cd-128 to the cd-168?
is the 168 worth the price difference?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Raysonic cd players
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 03:43:29 PM »
I haven't compared the two, but I do have the CD-168....and I can tell you that it is an awesome piece of equipment.

With its volume control, you can feed the output directly to your amp(s)...and I can tell you that it is very impressive, as such.

Plus...it doubles as eye-candy, too  :).
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »
Steve brought his CD-168 to the last two G2G's at Richidoo's and it was one of the stars of both.  This is one awesome player, both for sound and looks, and it would be on my must have list if I were committed to a streaming source.  I have not had the chance to listen to a CD-128 but based on what I heard from Steve's CD-168 there is no question about its value as a high-end source.

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
Bacobits got one after hearing Steve's 168 last fall. Den, you out there???
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1204.msg11725#msg11725

I've not heard the 128 either. But good reviews.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raysonic/cd128.html
http://www.stereotimes.com/CD022908.shtml

bacobits

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
Geeze I just saw this. I did answer this on AA and Circles forum. Same poster?

I was all over the place when purchasing. I was coming off of the Benchmark DAC1 which was very good
but a bit aggressive. Not exactly forward or bright sounding but varied with the software you played. It is squeaky clean. Ya just have to listen to this for yourself. We have way too many varied tastes.

Anyway, I got the bug again after seeing all the deals out there and sold the Benchmark and Denon 1650AR I was using as a Transport. Did not lose a bit $ they sold for what I paid for them. I briefly heard Steve's Raysonic 160 at Richie's and liked it. Later, I saw a 128 for half off retail in mint condition so I jumped on it. It is very nice and does sound analog in comparison to some of my Vinyl/ CD titles in Non Upsampling mode and plays HDCD. I since replaced the stock tubes with the recommended NOS JAN Phillips 6DJ8's and I'm done. I love the build on the 128 and actually don't mind the hands on feel with the top loader and the puck. Hey, it was half price! Steal one.

Den

It's the lights!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:57:07 PM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:29:27 PM »
Nice lookin rig Den!  8)

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:18:39 AM »

westcoastman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »
Beautiful looking equipment.  I will have to make a point to listen to one of these to see what I am missing.

I checked out this article http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raysonic3/quartet_2.html which shows how well they are made.

bacobits

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:17:28 AM »
Thanks on the compliments. The system is plain and simple also cheaper than what I have ever had in the past. Not lacking in sound either which is a good thing. Again, I hate to recommend digital equipment because it seems very personal. I have been tuning the system a bit. I'm now using these under everything. Too think of all the other more costlier stuff I have around here.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstwek&1238012106&/Isolation-vibration-pads

Well worth the cheap cost. They work very well on my glass shelves. My scientific evaluation is lightly touching the equipment to see if I can feel vibration. By turning these things you feel the difference.
These are placed in diamond pattern under equipment, that is not parallel or right aangles to the edges of the shelf rack. The ribs cancel out vibrations very nicely this way.

I have too much time on my hands.  :roll:
Check them out.

D

Offline tybee

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
Den,

You and I have spent many hours listening to Eastern Electric equipment in the past, and we both have moved on.  I almost purchased a Raysonic, but settled on a solid state Soundquest SQ 12 "Woody" which was compared to the Raysonic in several past published reviews. My Woody came with four of same isolation devices that you are sharing.  While I did note some sonic improvement on my my baltic birch shelves, I placed my Woody on springs with basswood footer blocks, and a veil was lifted in clarity and the bass also improved whne compared to the sandwiched devices.  The Woody sounds much closer to my analogue system than any cd player that I have used in the past. While it may not resolve as others have pointed out in past reviews when compared to your Raysonic, a few tweaks including a custom power cord have made the Woody a keeper for me. Very musical yet detailed and non fatiguing.  Since my listening has changed to almost 80% lps, I am not using the CD player as much, anyway. 

I suspect the sandwiched devices you are using may work much better on glass than wood.

bacobits

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
Hey, Tybee hope all is well in TN.

Yes, glass shelving has different effects. My sub can pressurize a room even if not played loud.
These blocks I use are identical to the ones Quest sells and cheaper although Quest will say otherwise. You can buy this stuff in sheets (Industrial vibration control for machinery) in 4X4 sections and cut it up on a band saw. I imagine this is what this guy does and then resells it.

What kind of springs are you using? Where did you purchase them?
I did see that "woody" on Quest for Sounds site looks pretty good.
I have to stay with CD for my primary listening because that is where all my newer music is.
This all actually started because I was getting too much feedback in my TT isolation setup. So I have them double stacked and 50 lbs Granite on them. Feedback gone.

D

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
You can pick up the identical vibration isolators for $6/set of 4 here. I've purchased from them several times with no problems. $36 bought enough to put under all my gear and I agree, they work very well, especially for the price. Now back to the Raysonic thread. :)

bacobits

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »
Ah HA! Damn it another rip off !!!!!! :rofl:
I got taken. Thanks for the link. Hey, that is the same pict too. That is cheap. I might go into business.

BTW, Tybee was talking about springs. The only things I like giggling really are on women.  :drool:
I think equipment might move too much but similar to a suspended TT I guess.

They sell springs like these>
http://www.8audio-mall.com/servlet/the-312/30x22mm-Professional-Audio-Equipment/Detail

D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:28:49 PM by bacobits »