Author Topic: my low buck high tech-set up is done  (Read 4957 times)

rosconey

my low buck high tech-set up is done
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
my puter based system is up and running- bought one of those things off ebay that works thru the usb port-
found a used one for 5$ -

and it works fine-best part was it is a easy nothing to do plug and play-so now im partially out of the stone age-just a matter of getting my tunes downloaded-went mediaplayer loss less-sounds good so far-i guess ill have to get a external hd-

so now -----

mediaplayer usb out to my converter device in,out digital optic to my zero dac-

i found a long usb cable long enough to get my lap top on the end table next to me :D

not sure if i spent enough to qualify for the club  :rofl:it did cost a whole 5$-heck thats 2 gallons of gas
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:48:31 AM by rosconey »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: my low buck high tech-set up is done
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »
So it's a USB > SPDIF convertor?  8)

I gotta make some windows media lossless to play on my Creative jukebox, no flac, no apple.

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:22:39 AM »
not so sure how  much im liking this-after some serious listening ive found some flaws over my cdp as transport with my dac-

sound stage has lost quite a bit of depth and width,most instruments are inside the speakers -

luckily i havent ripped a ton of music yet with windows lossless,im going to try some with apple and see if there is any difference-

and it also could be my converter thing-

as it is i bet 99% of people would think its awsome-but its not on par with how its set up now-----YET-lol

edit--just used a 10% off ebay cupon along with 25% msn live search and got a squeezebox for 215$
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 06:51:39 AM by rosconey »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:55:54 AM »
You're gonna like that Squeezebox! Congrats Rosconey!

Try ripping to wav, it should sound as good or slightly better than the cdp if you use same cable and dac. Then you know it is the compression format sounding bad. I don't think windows media player can rip to wav though. Try EAC or dbpoweramp or foobar for ripping to wav of flac formats.

But Windows Media Lossless should sound pretty decent, as good as flac or wav. Make sure you actually ripped to lossless, not VBR. If you play from windows you are using the windows kernel to play music which screws it up bad, aka K-Mixer. How to fix it:

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
thanx-but im not very puter literate  :rofl:

a quick question-

my laptop has wifi built in -do i still have to buy a router to use the squeezebox? or will the built in wifi send out a signal for it?

thanx howard

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
What you want is Peer to Peer wireless network:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/p2p/p2pintro.mspx

You will install squeezecenter on the PC then point the SB to the PC for its server. Rinse, repeat. Eventually you'll get it. I don't know about wifi security, etc. Read the MS paper about the details.

Router will have a DHCP server which doles out the IP addresses automatically and makes all the network settings to any gadget on the network automagically. If you don't have a DHCP server, then you need to set the SB settings yourself manually. It's not hard, but ask for help if you can't get it going.  A router is very cheap, you might in the end decide that it is by far the easiest way to go.

How do you connect to the internet? And how does that connect to your computer? Describe your network as it is now.

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »
right now i  have the cable thing plugged in thru a usb port

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:04:54 AM »
OK, so you don't already have a network in the house. Adding a wireless router will be a good way to connect the SB3. But the router can't connect to internet by USB, so you will need a new cable modem with an ethernet port. What is your ISP? You can ask your ISP to swap your USB modem for a ethernet model.

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
modem has both ways to connect-

just hooked up a belkin router-

couldnt get it to work at first-but vista walked me thru it- :rofl:

i am wifi as a type :drool:

thanx-howard

i hope its this easy to connect the squeezebox