Author Topic: Vintage Pioneer SX680  (Read 26365 times)

ik632

Vintage Pioneer SX680
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:45 PM »
Just got my SX680 back from Alex at the Analog Store. It's playing some music settling in to it's new surroundings and becoming friends with it's new companion the SB3. Setup is temporary until I can get the rack finished this weekend.

My favorite part:

Finally, rocking out to a little NIN:

ik632

Re: Vintage Pioneer SX680
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
My first initial impressions is that it seams a lot more powerful (at 37w x 2) than the Harmon Kardon receiver that I was using which is rated at 75w x 2. The highs also seam much more refined and there is a distinctive kick in the low end which the HK was missing. It's not a tube amp, but one of the last solid state Pioneer amps before they went to the digital stuff in the late 70's/early 80's. It's also strange that when the HK was turned up the higher volumes hurt my ears (or made that hurting type feel) where the Pioneer just fills the room with more and more sound. I don't know the exact words to describe it, but it's something I wasn't expecting.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:11:52 PM »
COOL!!! Congrats!  That's great news, glad Alex was able to bring some music back to your system.
I like your sig... I know you like that old school 'stile' but sounds like you have an ear to be a 'phile' also. ;)

I'm sure the HK is indeed 75 watts... at some current at some frequency for a very short amount of time.  But the Pioneer was made before they new how to play the watt game.  When I worked at SlurpIt City we sold Aiwa 'minisystems' that advertised 240 Watts! wow!  hahahaha..

I'm sure the Pioneer is enjoying 'Head like a hole'...

Sounds like what you're hearing is music to your ears.. Enjoy!

-Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
Yup.  Those had some guts to them.  They'll definitely kick in the low end compared to an HK MOSFET amp section.

Now you just need to set your screensaver on the SB3 to matching analog meters  8)   

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:35 AM »
I used to have a Proton amp with 600 per side that had the cool meters, those are sweet.  I like the juxtaposition, contrasting new/old tech.   8)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:03:11 AM by miklorsmith »

ik632

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
I did have the analog screen saver but my wife said it was too "busy". I guess the biggest part of the system is the WAF (wife approval factor) so the looks matter. My other components should be hooked up soon and I'll post some pics when I get them set. I'll post the rack pictures in the DIY section.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »
I just love the look of that old Pioneer gear, your new/old amp is looking awfully sweet. Glad to hear it's sounding as good as it looks.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
  Looking good man. Wonder how far receivers have come since the Pioneer. How does the tonality compare to the new ones out there. Probably not to much difference. The Pioneer maybe more musical ?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »
Alex probably replaced a few caps and other parts needing break in, so it may get even better over the next couple weeks. I can't wait to hear it Nick!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:22 AM »
Set up 4 Large Advents and I'd feel like I was back in college again.   :beer: :yay2:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ik632

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 09:20:42 AM »
So far it sounds more musical than the HK receiver. My wife commented about how you can hear different instruments come in and out that you knew were there, but didn't hear them before. She compared it to using her good headphones with her iPod compared to her crappy headphones  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »
So far it sounds more musical than the HK receiver. My wife commented about how you can hear different instruments come in and out that you knew were there, but didn't hear them before. She compared it to using her good headphones with her iPod compared to her crappy headphones  :rofl:

"More musical... didn't hear details before... good headphones... crappy headphones..."

Hey, Nick, If you weren't an audiophile before, you is one now! haha

It is so easy to slip under the spell, and you have proven it needn't break the bank.

ik632

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
I got my SA-7700 last night, that thing is a monster! I'll post a new thread with pictures tonight when I get home   8)

ik632

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:51 AM »
Well, I go to pick up the receiver tomorrow at The Analog Store. There were some caps which were causing a popping noise when changing sources. So, I'll have one more vintage part to add to the stack. I guess the next step is to clean the source switch on the 7700 now :D

EricH

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 06:50:48 AM »
I have an SX-1180 that needs some work. Who did your work for you?