Author Topic: Tube Amps vs. SS Amps  (Read 11272 times)

Bigfish8

Tube Amps vs. SS Amps
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:22:47 PM »
Guys:

I am honestly not trying to initiate a debate as I would really like to know the advantages and disadvantages of SS and Tube Amps.  My experience is with Odyssey SEs which are SS but I know that some prefer tubes and other perfer SS.  Why?

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Tube Amps vs. SS Amps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
I like both! ;)
The ONLY thing I know that SS amps seem to do better 'generally' to me is bass.  Otherwise, all bets are off.  I've heard harsh and sterile tube amps and warm, buttery ss so it's tough to make sweeping statements. 
Functionally, I like SS better... I don't have the 'nervosa' of wondering if a tube is going bad or if the bias is out of wack... or leaving it on overnight... or having someone bump into it... SS is just easier to own to me.

Tube amps have the advantage of infinitely adjusting the sound to meet your needs through tube swapping/rolling... To me that's not fun.  I tend to pursue a specific sound and once I find it, I like it to stay that way. 

I've found adding a tubed preamp to a SS amp is the way to go.  (as have many, more experienced audiophiles)  But that's me.

As to what the technical differences are, I'll let others explain.  But those are my thoughts at the moment...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Tube Amps vs. SS Amps
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 06:39:19 AM »
At this point in time I believe either would do fine. As Carlman stated there are many different characters of the Amps today. SS is certainly an easier way out.  Tubed hard core. Its so subjective its really hard to say.
     If I was using say Maggies as speakers I would want a SS amp and tubed pre. If I was using horns It would be SET Amp and SS Pre or all tubes. Are either better? IMO no. I mean take an MBL system or Boulder and compare to VAC or Audio Research. These will all sound wonderfull however some will prefer SS and others tubed. There is no right and wrong here just personal preference.
     For me its SET Amp with Tubed or passive Pre depending what mood I'm in, or the source I'm listening to at the time. CD playback is tubed LP is Passive or tubed depending on music selected.

rollo 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.