Author Topic: Wife urging me to upgrade  (Read 42188 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Wife urging me to upgrade
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
SleepyGuy is coming over with a box full of tunes and we will see/hear the effects. I agree that I will Have to go NOS. No problem.

Don't write off new production high end tubes from China. Shuguang Black Treasure CV181Z and Psvane are very good. Clean clear sound, with the phat bottom and big sound of vintage western tubes, just without the syrup or blur. Pissvane also has 12A* now too, I've not heard those.

http://en.psvane.com/

Rich, Those are EXACTLY what Dan recommended. BUT they are like $300 for a pair  :(
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
Psvanes nine pins are about $70/pr on ebay, octals are 175ish/pr.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
CBS hytron 5814 for 12au7.  Baldwin Organ Pulls for 12ax7.  You will get clarity AND toob warmth / glow.  Much cheaper than 300 per pair.  That's  just nuts!    :roll:

Also Amperex, RCA and Mullards.

EDIT:  but NOT RCA clear top 12au7.  They are bright and lean.  RCA black plate, red print, better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:16:34 AM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Tube Rollin!
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
OK so it was time to play last night even though I am not through the burn in process  :pop. I only have about 150 hrs with about 250 more to go  ](*,)  disclaimer:These are preliminary observations and are not considered final.

first thing we did is install some 6SN7's that Sleepyguy (Dean) brought over (RCA?Sylvania?). They took a very very slight edge off. the we installed TMazz GE's from the 1950's and they had a more pronounced affect. I still have a pair of new production Tungsols that Dean left with me to try. Didn't have a rectifier tube to try so I may just take the plunge and get that regardless. As soon as I have more info I'll post. 
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2015, 03:56:37 AM »
At about 200+ hrs. I ruled out the GE and Sylvania.  The Tungsols are in right now and sound pretty good but need more time with them.  Getting the mullard Friday.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:35 AM »
At about 200+ hrs. I ruled out the GE and Sylvania.  The Tungsols are in right now and sound pretty good but need more time with them.  Getting the mullard Friday.

Hi Jim

Say what?? The re-issue Tung Sol 6Sn7 GTBs sounding better than old stock 6SN7s? Never thought that would happen. When the Mullard rectifier comes in on Friday will you be putting the Old Stock 6SN7s back in to compare?

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:57 AM »
Well, the Sylvania developed 'motorboating' sounds so it was eliminated on that. The TS is very clear and has good top end extension.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
Jim, if you end up liking the Tungsols check out this deal from Cryoset. The are selling new production Tungsol, hand matched, cryoed and burned in for only $55 a pair. They also have a selection of cryoed 12AU7s and rectifiers, so they could outfit your whole preamp.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_42&products_id=123&osCsid=f5814be1b1a1a994defa19f9b86cb6fb
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
Put the "Used" Old Stock Mullard rectifier tube in yesterday, left the unit on and playing for 24 hrs and it sounds good. Does it sound better? I didn't do an A/B. But I would say that the high end is toned down slightly and the bass is not as well defined. Overall it warmed it up ever so slightly for the better. I am not going to change out the line stage tubes at this point I want to live with this setup and really get to know it.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »
To shape the sound, I would definitely focus on line stage tubes.  It will give SQ changes that are much more obvious.   

While rectifiers matter, it is the last tube I would address, as it's effect is quite subtle....in my experience.
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Tubes
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »
Oh, I plan to. I happened to find the Mullard at a "reasonable" price and only needed one so i went with it. The tubes I will eventually use in the LS are the Black Treasures. They are pricey so I will do it in time as the pre breaks in. So far I would estimate the unit at 250+ hrs.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:43 PM »
So I had some time to do some listening this weekend and the pre sounds real nice.  It is very revealing and if a recording is not top notch you will know it. At over 250 hrs I believe that I still have not realized the full potential of the preamp.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2015, 06:14:48 AM »
OK so now have a touch over 400 hrs on the preamp and it is sounding very nice. Teflon caps are a bitch to break in. I would not have believed it had I not experienced it myself. Between the break in and the change to NOS RCA's and Mullard's has the preamp singing. Now on to the next adventure: Power conditioners  :)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
  Yes Sir Jim those Teflon caps especially V-Cap take up to 1000 hours to fully form.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.