Author Topic: Active speaker amps  (Read 13851 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Active speaker amps
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
My audiosource stereo amp has started petering out, so I am forced to face the music and start the amp building part of my active speaker project. The speakers are 3 ways, all drivers are 8 ohms. Sensitivity is tweeter 93dB, mids 87dB, woofers 91dB. 100db max listening peaks. I think 30-50wpc should be enough. I keep thinking that the bass driver might like more for playing organs or dance party but the why isn't 50W enough when 10 watts gets me 100dB bass. I prefer the sound of very low source impedance, at least for these speakers.

I want all the channels to sound the same, so I can move the woof/mid crossover a little higher without affecting tone color. Right now it is at 150Hz.

It doesn't have to be DIY, but I am willing and able, so that's an option. I love the idea of tubes, but they do make me crazier than usual, so I'd prefer not to be tubes for this.

Budget is unlimited say, $1500?

So what do you guys recommend for 6 channels of amps? 

Offline richidoo

Re: Active speaker amps
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »
I like to turn them on and leave them on all day. Talk radio, classical radio, pandora, jazz24.org, whatever. I get anxious about wasting tube life playing talk radio. I get anxious about turning on the tubes or hot class A amps and letting them warm up, then remembering 5 hours later just before bedtime. I am in and out of the house a lot, sometimes I will have 30 minutes to listen before I run out again, would be nice to just hit play. I want my kids and wife to be able to make the music GO with app on their phones and without my involvement. So I want amps than can run all day without triggering these neuroses.

I also want it to sound delicious, that goes without saying.

DIY options:

F5 / F5 Turbo - Beautiful class A phat sound, but runs HOT and long warm up time. I think the warm up will activate extreme neurosis, and prevent instant turn on/sitdown/listen10 minutes before bed. Similar anxiety as using tubes. Maybe not? Do they sound good cold? Fast warm up? I know they sound gorgeous, I love SS class A.

Modulus-86 - LM3886 based composite chip amplifier, pcb it. 35W, can be paralleled and/or bridged. Extremely low distortion. Worry about chip amp sound, I usually hate the opamp used in this design.

Sympatico - LM4780 based composite chip amplifier. More power than Modulus-86, similar concept. Same opamp and similar power chip as above. Low distortion, chip amps offer very high value.

Elliot Sound P101, P3A, P3B amps. Already have PCBs and output devices for P101.

Sol's I-60. I'm using this on midrange drivers now, it sounds great, but it's a bit beyond my ability to pull together on my own.

Any other DIY options?
Thanks

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
Maybe a 6 Channel amp from Class D Audio? You might have to wheel and deal to get 6 Channel amp in your budget though.

4 channel amp info:

http://classdaudio.com/audio-amplifiers/4-channel-sds-470-class-d-audio-amplifier.html

For some reason though I just can't get the image a stack of 3 Hafler 9505 powering your project speakers. No idea why this image is hitting me now. I know it isn't a DIY project but finding 3 of them and repairing/refurbing them isn't for the faint of heart.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:58:00 PM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
Commercial amps:

Parasound Zamp v3 x3. Reputation for good SQ.  $400 each

ATI 6012 - 12 channel, 60wpc. As recommended for Linkwitz Orion. $2400

Rotel 1506 - 6 channels, 50 watts. $1400

Emotiva XPA-3 - Do they really have good SQ? Price <$1/watt.

Outlaw Audio 7075 - $700  7 ch. Sound quality?

NuForce MCA-18 - 8ch, class D, 110wpc.

Any others?
Thanks

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »
For some reason though I just can't get the image a stack of 3 Hafler 9505 powering your project speakers. No idea why this image is hitting me now. I know it isn't a DIY project but finding 3 of them and repairing/refurbing them isn't for the faint of heart.

http://www.hafler.com/products/hafler_products_details.asp?productID=3276&viewId=3

Looks cool! Thanks!

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Hi again,

My preference for Emotiva are their sources. JimBones' Emotiva ERC-3 is solid. I liked their USP-1 preamp too.

I have their UPA-7 amp running my HT speakers except for the fronts. I have a Sumo 9 for that when I want to listen to 2 channel concerts.

IME the Emotiva XPA Gen 1 line and some of the UPA Gen 1 line were a little thin & brittle sounding when it came to 2 channel set-ups.

The good thing is with Emotiva if you buy new they have a generous return policy and if you buy used you can easily sell their gear on their forum. Emotiva stuff moves quickly there.

Maybe you can find 2 of these amps.

McCormack DNA HT3 McCormack DNA HT3

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-mccormack-dna-ht3-mccormack-dna-ht3-3-channel-amp-2014-10-08-amplifiers-46202-indianapolis-in

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 04:33:19 PM »
Some great suggestions, thanks Dean.

Carl also suggested McCormack, but I thought they were more expensive.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:02:40 PM »
This is a tough one Rich, as most of the HT amps on the market only have 5 channels since most subs are self powered. Finding one with six or more channels really cuts back your options, especially on a $1500 budget.

But I agree with Dean, Emotiva really does give you a good bang for the buck, I am just not sure if it would be up to your standards as far as SQ goes.

Here is one that I just found on A'gon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-emotiva-upa-7-125w-x-7-channels-with-free-shipping-2014-12-22-amplifiers-90706-bellflower-ca
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
Thanks Tom.

I do want to keep the refinement as I have now with Sol's I-60. Most budget SS amps are not as refined.

In the end I probably end up with something DIY. But still open to any other suggestions. Thanks

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
   Why ? KISS baby. You will need an active crossover or at a minimum low and high pass filters built into amps. We do not want to stress the drivers with unwanted frequencies.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »
I sent you a PM with a link to Marantz monoblocks... MA-500's and/or MA-700's would do nicely.  I really liked those amps... they perform way above their price point.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
   Why ? KISS baby. You will need an active crossover or at a minimum low and high pass filters built into amps. We do not want to stress the drivers with unwanted frequencies.

I've been running active system for about 2 months, based on my Kairos 2way speakers and added 11" woofer box. I'm using JRiver on a PC for crossover and preamp functions with Firepod 10 channel computer audio interface. I used the equipment I had on hand and free software to prove the concept. It works very well indeed. JRiver has 64 bit processing and the Firepod is nearly audiophile quality so they are mostly harmless to the signal. The distortion-free digital crossover filters and the direct connection of driver to amplifiers is huge improvement over the passive crossovers that I was using before. Now that the concept is proven, it's time to flesh it out with quality gear. I need amps, newer PC, and maybe mod the Firepod line outputs.

I worry that I might not ever be able to go back! But I do have an escape plan if necessary, 300Bs, horns, etc. But I would not call that simple, either.  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
I sent you a PM with a link to Marantz monoblocks... MA-500's and/or MA-700's would do nicely.  I really liked those amps... they perform way above their price point.

Thanks Carl. I got it. I am checking out the reviews.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:35:04 AM »
I picked up an inexpensive T-amp from China off of e-bay. I haven't heard it yet, because it's one of my christmas gifts. Cost about $60. I plan on using it for my computer desktop. Doesn't need to be fancy, and it isn't.

You are probably looking for better quality though.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
You never know. People love their T amps!   :drool: