Author Topic: Zodiak+ DAC  (Read 7259 times)

Bigfish8

Zodiak+ DAC
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »
Shane, The Home Theater Doc, came over this afternoon and brought the Zodiak+ and PS Audio Perfect Wave DACS.  The other gear involved:

Moscode 402AU Amp with 6H30DRs and Mullard 12AU7's
Tranquility DAC/Mac Mini with DB Audio Labs USB Cable
(note:  Mac Mini has external linear power supply, ss internal drive and 4 gb ram).
Mapletree 2A -SE Preamp with 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plates and Mullard rectifier
Stereofool's Audio Research Ref 1 Preamp
Black Sand Silver MK-V PCs plus one JPS Digital PC
JPS Superconductor 3 ICs and SCs
Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers with Diamond Tweeters

When Shane arrived I was playing the Tranquility with the Ref 1 Preamp.  We immediately replaced the Tranquility with The Zodiak+, connected to the Ref 1.  It was a repeat of what we heard at Rich's last Saturday with the Ref 3 Preamp.  The Zodiak did not sound good connected to the preamp.  We decided to connect the Zodiak+ directly to the Moscode.  It sounded better than it did connected to the Ref 1 but lacked dynamics.  I should note the DB Audio Labs USB Cable would not connect to the Zodiak+ as it requires a mini USB connector.  Shane had brought along two inexpensive (non audiophile) USB cables and suggested we switch to his second cable.  Man, it was like night and day!  With the second USB Cable the Zodiak+ was simply amazing.  It was very detailed without being bright and notes were crisp with no muddiness.  

We then switched to the Tranquility connected to the Ref 1.  In comparing the Tranquility to the Zodiak I made the comment it was like comparing two sexy women, both were very nice but I honestly preferred the Zodiak+.  We then replaced the Ref 1 with my Mapletree.  I guess I can say enough by saying the Mapletree did not stay in the system but a very few minutes.

Based on the performance of the Perfect Wave DAC on Saturday I wanted to hear it in my system.  I guess my Mullard 12AU7's are not the equal of the Mullard's Shane had in his Moscode as the Perfect Wave DAC was not the favorite today.  

Shane has not decided to rep the Zodiak DACs and I think, like me, he was just interested in hearing it connected to the Mac Mini after it had enough hours on it to be essentially broken-in.  After hearing the Zodiak+ in my system it has my thinking what my next step should be.  The Zodiak+ really sounded excellent being fed direct to the Moscode.  Nothing ever seems to be an easy decision in this hobby.

Shane thanks for bringing over the gear.  It was a lot of fun!

Ken

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:48:46 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Zodiak+ DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
Very interesting Ken. That the Zodiac should change so much by changing input from SPDIF to USB.  Is that right?

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »
Very interesting Ken. That the Zodiac should change so much by changing input from SPDIF to USB.  Is that right?

No, we simply switched from one cheap USB Cable to another cheap USB Cable.  The Zodiak+ requires a Mini B connector style.  The Zodiak+ went from sounding barely okay to world class with a simple cheap cable change - go figure!  Of course there will be those that will say cables have no impact on digital.  To them I can say B.S.!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:25:51 PM »
That's kinda scary... here you are attempting to evaluate a piece of hardware and what you really learn is that a simple digital cable can make all the difference in the world.  I mean, what if you hadn't swapped that cable?   If that was true on this, it makes you wonder when else might it have been true?  :duh

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
Good to hear the REF1 is holding its own  8).
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »
Good to hear the REF1 is holding its own  8).

I replaced the Mapletree with your Ref 1 on Monday.  I listened some on Monday afternoon and did not get to listen again until Friday Evening.  It is easy to suspect one product should perform better than another based on price and market perception.  I wanted to reinsert the Mapletree into the system while Shane was here to also gain his impression.  As I indicated in my first post the difference was huge and the Mapletree came back out of the system!

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 05:53:48 PM »
Very interesting Ken.  I've heard several other great reports on the Zodiac+ and there were a few at RMAF this weekend.  Any idea when the Zodiac Gold version (with upgraded attenuator and remote) is going to be available?
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:01:26 PM »
Very interesting Ken.  I've heard several other great reports on the Zodiac+ and there were a few at RMAF this weekend.  Any idea when the Zodiac Gold version (with upgraded attenuator and remote) is going to be available?

Tom:

Shane told me that Antelope is expecting to begin shipping the gold version in December.

Did you notice what computers were being used to drive the Zoidak+'s?  Were they using USB and if so did you notice the manufacturer of the cables?

I hope you had fun in Denver!

Ken

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »

Tom:

Shane told me that Antelope is expecting to begin shipping the gold version in December.

Did you notice what computers were being used to drive the Zoidak+'s?  Were they using USB and if so did you notice the manufacturer of the cables?

I hope you had fun in Denver!

Ken

Sorry I didn't get much detail.  Sadly, most of the rooms didn't have any idea how they were sourcing via computer, settings, etc.  The Virtue Audio room was using dual Zodiac+'s with a Deqx on a rather bizarre looking omni speaker setup I never heard of so can't really help there.

One rather cool thing was Amarra Complete which is an external SSD drive with a heavily stripped down MacOs kernel and Amarra (of your choice) on it you can just dual boot it to your Mac.  Turn key instant Mac music server with an SSD.  No tweaking needed.  Very nice.

Yes, lots of fun.  I briefly enjoyed the Usher Mini's and can see why you really like them.  Smooth and detailed at the same time.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »
Guys:

I just placed an order for a USB-B to Mini B adapter:  http://www.cryo-parts.com/usb_adapters.html

I figure yesterday may not be the last time I will need a Mini B connector.

Ken

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »
Guys:

I just placed an order for a USB-B to Mini B adapter:  http://www.cryo-parts.com/usb_adapters.html

I figure yesterday may not be the last time I will need a Mini B connector.

Ken

It will be now that you bought the adapter.   :duh
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Bigfish8

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
It will be now that you bought the adapter.   Duh!

I hope the adapter arrives in time for me to hear the Zodiak+ in my system again.  Shane may decide to send the unit back and in that case your comment could be correct!

Ken
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:11:43 PM by Bigfish8 »

manaox2

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »
I have long suspected that the "audiophile" USB cables are actually out of spec in order to change the sound noticeably. I may be wrong, but this still seems to support my theory.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 08:00:13 AM »
Like adding detail. Detail sells, even when it's just too much treble.

Interesting theory Scott