Author Topic: VTL MB 100 tube monoblocks  (Read 17779 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: VTL MB 100 tube monoblocks
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »
Hey George,i have bias test ports in front of the tubes on the top of the chassis.I bought a matched octet of genelex KT77 reissues from www.deepsurplus.com with a 90 day return policy.they had the best price that i could find on these tubes and i am very happy with them. they are in the speaker parts/amplifier building section.good luck
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
WCW,, do you have a 5th bias adjustment on each bloc? Thanks for the link

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Link

That is a great price! Same as I was paying for matched GT tubes from Manley. Thanks William.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 07:37:07 PM »
WCW,, do you have a 5th bias adjustment on each bloc? Thanks for the link
Yeah George,It is the master bias and i believe the manual states that the factory makes adjustments with it.thanks ....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Yep thats what Bea told me,,after she asked me if I had touched it. to which my reply was,,yes,, and her reply was,,, send em' back. But you know what,, after tweaking the "master bias" a tad,, they sure sound sweeter.I believe that the downside could be a shorter tube lifespan,,but they do sound good.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 06:07:35 AM »
Could be they sound better with master turned up because your individual pots were too low??

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 07:08:37 AM »
Good point,,on one of them,, yes,, now I've just got to find the measurement point for the overall bias,,still learning here. :o

Offline Bunky

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 07:39:05 AM »
Hey George,Does Bea Lamm seem like a nice person ? I have read posts on some forums that claim that she runs VTL customer service with a IRON HAND  :rofl: and is very short and rude with the customers who own VTL gear that was made before she and her husband Luke Manley took it over from Lukes father David in 1993 when David started Manley Labs.Does it seem safe to have VTL do upgrade work with these folks running the show ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 07:42:17 AM by Bunky »
-- Frank Zappa

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
WCW,, I read the stories about VTL's customer service,, Bea has been especially nice and helpful, she is "to the point",, does not BS around,,she has sent me a return authorization form to have my mono's upgraded with the external bias points,and other upgrades,should I choose. She told me how much it would cost to look/evaluate them,also told me that they might have them for 4-6 weeks,depending upon what I wanted done,and was very upfront about the cost. She is very knowledegabe about the gear. I get the feeling that they would do a thorough job,so I have no complaints,,so far. When I send them in,I'll post here,regarding my experience.