Author Topic: Age and format likes  (Read 9822 times)

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Re: Age and format likes
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
John,
             If your a good boy I'll send you the recipe for the "Sauce" [ Sunday sauce that is ]. It dates back over 150 years to my great Grandmother from Sicily. Simple and delicous.

rollo
Glad to see the Sicilians are represented on the forum. "Sauce" was also known as "Gravy" when I was growing up. Anyway, went to Sicily a couple years ago for two weeks, and would go back in a heartbeat. They definitely prefer a much firmer al dente than Americans. And the wine from Etna seems akin to the stuff that Odysseus used to put the Cyclops to sleep - highly recommended. Great places to visit, wonderful ruins and museums, colorful persons everywhere, seafood to die for (the sardines are out of this world, add some cuttlefish, squid, shrimp, other fish, etc. - Manga, Eat!)

Funny to be reminded of cooking and relatives, although the closeness to Thanksgiving makes it seem less remarkable and all the more reasonable. I remember my Sicilian grandmother making pasta all over the dining room table - pappardelle type ribbons of eggy freshness, ricotta-stuffed ravioli, her homemade sauce/gravy with tons of meatballs / sausage (hot & sweet) / braciole, the fresh bread and sweet butter, grandpa's [he started the Garibaldi Club in my mom's hometown] homemade vino (we kids would get a small shot of the stuff topped off with lots of 7Up), killer salad with veggies right out of grandma's garden, homemade cannoli, etc., etc. One of the funny things is that grandma used to make snails, some of which escaped the cooking and took to crawling around where often times they would end up on the curtains. I remember we used to delight when visiting to see if we could find where the snails had gotten to. And the audio in the background was provided by a multitubed old time wood stand radio, with it's wonderful glow and warmed-dusty smell. Don't even get me started about the scratchy old Victrola! Good times, good food, good people (many now gone), good memories. More things to be thankful for as Thursday draws near, and more memories to make.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:15 AM »
Thats a nice! Very touching. Now pass the gravy and braciole. Happy Thanksgiving.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 08:25:13 AM »
Thats a nice! Very touching. Now pass the gravy and braciole. Happy Thanksgiving.

rollo
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »
You guys are killing me.  I live in South Carolina, (late of the Jersey Shore).  There is nothing to eat here...  unless you like it deep fried...or bar-bee-cued with mustard sauce. 

Rollo- you have an email address from Manhattan.  I'm jealous as hell. You can eat whatever and whenever you want.  (I know it's Manhattan because I work for Time Warner Cable on the data side.  I recognize your domain).

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »
You guys are killing me.  I live in South Carolina, (late of the Jersey Shore).  There is nothing to eat here...  unless you like it deep fried...or bar-bee-cued with mustard sauce. 

Rollo- you have an email address from Manhattan.  I'm jealous as hell. You can eat whatever and whenever you want.  (I know it's Manhattan because I work for Time Warner Cable on the data side.  I recognize your domain).

What do you need we can ship it.

rollo
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »

What do you need we can ship it.

rollo

How about one of each item off the menu from every restaurant in a ten block radius.? That ought to hold me for a couple days.  I've been Down South for a dozen years, so I need to make up for a lot of lost meals.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 04:37:00 AM »
Guy's, I'm 57,and prefer vinyl. I went over to my mothers the other day,and pulled the back off of the "silvertone" console that my dad got in the sixties(He worked for Sears) and guess what---tubes everywhere,,.I find myself listening to my old vinyl collection more and more,,the only downside,is that I have to get up and change the record. To me there is something more"organic,lush, and warm with vinyl. Just my .02 worth.  :D

wet weasel

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
Gawd. And here I sat, thinking that though I was the new guy I was also the old flatus.
Like rollo, I am on the cusp. I'm 46 (late bloomer checking in) and grew up with music on the black spinny stuff. In retrospect I am amazed at how casually my family (and later the guys in the dorm) treated their records. Todays vinyl audiophile reminds me of a gardening club for surgeons, orthodontists and archaeologists. Love those tiny shovels...
I like vinyl and CD about equally. I threw very much money at the "digital sound" problem. Now, eating my dog food and polishing my dCS stack, I feel it's fixed. I became aware of the high end in the '80s, so I wasn't indoctrinated into tubes. I haven't yet tried deep-frying my dog food. Hmmmm .... the Elgar runs surprisingly hot, and there's like this cooktop surface on it. Anyone have Reference Grade lard?
cheers ww

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
  Wet weasel,
                     No lard but, but some extra virgin first cold pressed olive oil pressed by monks using maple planks damped with brass ending with a purity of 8 out 9. Sealed in a resonant free bottle colored green to ward off laser misreads. If you rub a little behind your left ear, not right you'll hear a slide guitar like never before. Or a small amount on CD to ward off evil spirits, works every time.

rollo

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 02:53:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm 46 and was brought up on vinyl.  I bought my first decent hifi system in 1986 it was a rega 2, nad integrated and a pair of monitor audio 352's.  I really liked the sound that I got from my system.  In 1989 I bought a $1000au Nakamichi om2 cdp and it totally sucked.  I gave up on vinyl in 1992 when my young son kept on destroying my stylus.

I currently have a bluenote piccolo turntable, benz micro $200 us cartridge, bluenote de medici/classic cornet phonostage and it sounds pretty good imo.  Much of the music that I like totally sucks on cd.  I do have a pretty good cd system and I also like it when I can get a good cd.

Regards

Rod

mgalusha

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »
Well I'm 47 and of course grew up before CD's existed. My first TT was some portable I conned my mother into buying at a garage sale when I was about 10 and I promptly figured out a way to wire it into the BW console TV with it's giant oval speaker that was something like 6x20 if memory serves correctly. I guess the desire to hack and modify gear stems from that. :)

My mother was a garage sale junkie in the 70's and pretty much all of my gear and records came from there. By the time I was in my early teens I had some fairly decent stuff with a Garrard and Elac TT, a nice HH Scott integrated and Scott tuner and even an old Teac 3340 reel to reel ($10). I built my own speakers until about 91 when I finally got married, the demise of my hifi hobby for quite some time... In the 80's I had bought a Yamaha CD player as it sounded better than everything else in the shop. I can still remember auditioning that CDP, the salesman and other folks in the store thought I was nuts, as all CD's sounded the same -perfect- of course. By the time I got married (the first time) I had gotten rid of the tubes and had a Carver C4000 preamp and M400 power amp and a Thorens TD160/Shure V-15 IV and of course the Yamaha CDP. I had close to 1000 records or so and still preferred the sound to CD but alas the lack of space and need for funds along with a very insistent wife prompted the sale of the record collection for not very much money. An event I despise to this day.

Thankfully I stored the Thorens in the crawlspace and returned it to service when that marriage had ended and I could enjoy music once again. Sadly the old Thorens hadn't fared well during it's 6 years in the crawl space. Belt was just dust and the suspension on the Shure was pretty much shot. A new belt and a Grado cart brought it back to life and I borrowed a few records from my mother and decided I liked the sound of records but the platter bearing of the Thorens as pretty well shot as well. Now I have a Teres based TT that I built with a motor and bearing I purchased from Teres and it sounds very nice and in many ways more musical than my digital setup. However, I rarely play records though I have about 500 of the things.

I believe there are two reasons for that. 1) I'm very happy with my digital rig (Squeezebox in larger case with high quality power supply and many modifications feeding a modified DCX2496 crossover) and 2) convenience. Not so much the cleaning/flipping of records but having to paw through the rack looking for something I want to hear. There is no comparison to just using the remote to browse various genres until something sounds good.

I really like the vinyl setup but I rarely use it. I have actually been thinking about selling it but I just have so damn much time and money in it, I know I'll take a bath if I do. :(

mike