Author Topic: Maxing out the B&W Matrix 802s3  (Read 4987 times)

poloman

Maxing out the B&W Matrix 802s3
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »
I have the B&W Matrix 802s3 in my main system.  Yes on the dedicated soundanchor stands.  They are great speakers and I wondered if anyone else has a pair.  What you have driving them.  How they're set up.  Did you do any crossover mods, or use after market xovers such as the Maughan box.  Love to talk about these babies.  I have a Classe 25 driving them with an Audio Research LS7 Tube pre. Let's discuss.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Maxing out the B&W Matrix 802s3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
You may want to try different tubes in your preamp for starters. Mullards or RCAs would add some richness and weight to the sound.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:38:30 AM »
I replied when you posted this under speakers. Not sure if you saw that or not.

One other comment to add.  The 802s need a BIG room to realy sound good.  Last weekend I was playing music (actually a big event for me...wife and kids were away) while I was doing household chores.  The bass in far away rooms was deep and detailed, while in my living room, it was dramatically less present.  It may be that I need to tweak the all omportant setup or, perhaps, need a bigger room and/or house.

poloman

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »
My room is in 2 parts  basically 18x35.  The system is in the front half 18x20 and then a 12 foot opening into another room 18x15   front ceiling is 8'4  Pics are in my album although they are old  and the Classe is in the place of the B&K
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:11:45 PM by poloman »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
Jay,

Have you ever tried moving the speakers and your main listening seats a bit further from the back wall? A number of people commented at Dennis' last Fri PM that his system sounded much better after he closed in the opening to the kitchen. Personally, I think that the improvement had just as much to do with his bringing the speakers further out into the room as it did with closing up the wall. In my experience, space to the back wall is an important consideration when placing Thiels. I'm not sure if it is as critical with B&Ws, but it might be worth a try (If nothing else it is a free tweek  ;) )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables