Author Topic: Alan Maher's CBF inside digital source  (Read 8033 times)

Phil

Alan Maher's CBF inside digital source
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:51:59 PM »
For you fans of Alan's little wonder - the CBF - a reminder that it can be used inside components.  Try it inside your DAC or cdp (on the transformer) and let us know what you hear in four days. 

Happy Thanksgiving all!   

Phil

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Alan Maher's CBF inside digital source
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
I placed an order for some CBFs this afternoon and purposely ordered more than I needed so I would have some extras to "play" with. I try this out and let you know what I think.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
For you fans of Alan's little wonder - the CBF - a reminder that it can be used inside components.  Try it inside your DAC or cdp (on the transformer) and let us know what you hear in four days. 

Happy Thanksgiving all!   

Phil

So whats the verdict already my Nervosa is perking.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Placed on the power supply within the component, there was greater resolution, bass and better tonality.  Placed beneath the power supply, outisde of the component, it provides greater musical flow (for want of a better word), bass definition and tonality.   Right now, I have it beneath the power supply since the musical flow does it for me.

Bottom line:  Try these out with components.  You can get the general idea in 30 minutes and settle in time is a few days only, not weeks.  That said, I don't have one over my breakers.  Three shakti stones reside there.  Perhaps the synergy is even better with CBFs on the breakers too.  

Tweaker's heaven.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:52:40 PM by Phil »

AlanMaher

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »
Phil

The sound stage will improve when it's added to the breaker, and the dynamics will improve when the CBF is installed over the spare receptacle of the a/v duplex.  Sound stage and tonal purity will continue to improve when the CBF is used to filter non-a/v circuits. Use 1 to 4 per non-a/v circuit. When applied with our active filters the effect is out of this world...

Also try placing the CBF in/out of the component for better res/flow mix.  The placement of the CBF throughout the home/stereo is infinite, which is why we called it what we did.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:16:45 AM by AlanMaher »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »
I have a question about the placement of the CBFs you shipped to me last week. I have two new outlets powering my system, each fed by a dedicated home rune 20A circuit. I have already place i CBF over the spare outlet in each duplex receptacle, They are actually supported by the power cable in the bottom outlet and just leaning against the top outlet. They are in an out of the way place so the can sit without the need for doublestick tape to keep them from falling off. Is this OK?

Secondly, at the breaker end, I just put in and therefore can easily identify the ROMEX associated with each of the digital circuits. Rather than gluing or taping the CBFs over the breaker, it would be easier to tie wrap each CBJ to the ROMEX feeding the dedicated circuits right at the point where it enters the box. Would this have the same effect as placing the CBF right over the breaker itself.If not what is the difference and which would you recommend?

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

AlanMaher

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 01:03:34 AM »
Tom

As long as the CBF is covering all 3 receptacle slots and it doesn't fall off then I guess it's OK. Mounting tape is recommended only to permanently secure the install. You can also zip tie the CBF to the AC Male shell,or open the AC shell and pour the CBF crystal inside the AC shell. Tightly pack the shell....always best to remove the Wattgate style strain relief.

Inside a panel there are 2 main places that can be treated for best a/v quality. First, zip tie the CBF to the main wire bundle entering the panel box prior to the main breaker. Second, lower the ringing of the individual breaker by mounting the CBF directly to the circuit breaker. Both installs have different tonal qualities. Lowering the ringing in both applications greatly enhances sound stage size and inner dimension.  

NOTE: As mentioned above by Phil, our CBF works beautifully with Shakti products, so if you took my advice last year and installed a couple Stones centered over the panel and enjoyed the results, then you will love the addition of the CBF used inside the panel.  The CBF will increase the resolution and inner detail within the stage.

This is what I recommend for a single home CBF protection.

1. Breaker panel as described above.
2. 1 to 4 CBF per non-a/v circuit, including light switches (install behind the switch).
3. 1 installed over spare receptacle of a/v duplex.
4. Open all a/c and iec Wattgate style shells and fill shell with CBF crystal.
5. Tune each component power supply and digital chips/processors.

This set up is usually a good recommendation for the typical a/v system. After this is completed move up to our active filter line.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:08:51 AM by AlanMaher »

AlanMaher

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:32:28 AM »
CBF's back in stock!

Phil

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
Seems that the break-in/settle in was a few more days than I originally thought (placement under digital source).   The sound is much more robust now and more consistent (great added benefit), with shorter warm up period (really, really great added benefit). 

LOTS of body to instruments.  The CBF seems to amplify the effect of the other (quantum and PEs) filters.  I'm pulled into music that before sounded a bit dull.  Nothing is overcooked - these aren't sound effects -- just engaging music.   :thumb:

It is good to know that the CBF plays well with the shakti stones.  I'll have to try one across my two dedicated breakers. 

AlanMaher

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:49 AM »
Phil

Start with the main panel breaker and work your way to the individual breakers.  Next try to place at least one CBF on each circuit in the home.  The CBF should be small enough that is can fit behind duplex outlets and switches.  The non-a/v treatment will expand the size of the sage in all directions and continue to work on tonal purity.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
Alan,

I like the idea of adding a CBF to non-AV circuits since the TV and my wife's small audio system are on non-AV circuits.  Benefiting both those systems and the dedicated audio system would add to all our listening enjoyment greatly. 

At any rate, the REF3 is the next experiment, then on to the CBF placement.  I like to change one variable at a time.  That method has worked well when I needed to change the placement of a filter.

The CBF under the source continues to settle in.  I know the end result is a combination of all your filters, but the benefit of the little CBF is mind boggling and fun.

Thanks for doing what you do.   : :thumb:

Phil