I think it would be a good idea
3 (60%)
No....I don't think so
1 (20%)
Depends on price
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 04, 2019, 12:14:39 PM

Author Topic: Thoughts on battery powered Segue mk3B tube buffer or buffer/preamp  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
We all know battery power is the best option when suitable. As a buffer and/or buffer/preamp, this is where we would want the quietest product.
Looking for your thoughts on a battery powered version of our Segue MK3 Tube buffer.
http://www.responseaudioNY.com
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Thoughts on battery powered Segue mk3B tube buffer or buffer/preamp
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 08:03:30 PM »
It's been over a dozen years since Gary Dodd sat in my living room with his prototype battery preamp, and to this day, it's still near the top of the list for low/no noise.  Are batteries a PITA, sometimes, but they aren't expensive, don't require pricey power cords.  So I'm a big supporter of anyone that furthers that approach. 
Having said that, I've had both preamp and buffer in my system, and prefer the active preamp.  The increase in dynamics is unmistakable. I have one of the original run of 20 that Gary made, and then built a buffer.  I had Gary convert it to full active pre.  If you are considering a new product, in the case of the Dodd, my ears said the preamp was the more successful implementation.  Looking forward to what you come up with. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub