Author Topic: MTU and You  (Read 5347 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
MTU and You
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
For years I couldn't open or stream anything from Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ to my laptop running MS Vista. Even opening a 2MB jpeg on the NAS would crash Vista's Windows Explorer. Copying down to the NAS was also iffy, but I eventually found a workaround using a wired connection I could drag and drop in Explorer only. Anything else crashed. I had run across articles about the problem on readynas.com forum, but I was never sufficiently motivated to fix it because the problem was only with my laptop and I could just use another computer to maintain content on the NAS.

Then I recently discovered that my laptop headphone amp is plenty strong enough to power my AKG K701 cans, which are 30ohm current hogs, and the laptop doesn't sound too bad. But streaming from the NAS stutters and makes dropouts. So that motivated me to fix it once and for all!

The troubleshooting articles on readynas.com offered advice, but it didn't help. But I found an article that did help.

http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=226

My PPPoE DSL internet connection can only handle MTU=1492, so I had already reduced the laptop MTU to 1492, but that didn't help with the NAS. This article says lower the laptop way down to 1430 or 1460. I tried that, didn't help. But then later in the article it mentions that the NAS when set to MTU=1500 (default) uses fancy auto-negotiate algorithm to find fastest MTU when possible, and some older routers can't cope with that. I have an old modem/4 port switch/wireless router for my DSL connection. To defeat the auto negotiate algorithm on the NAS I set the MTU to 1492 and that fixed it. I could stream music, flip though pics, and download a WAV file of Holst's Saturn at about 2-3Mb/S on wireless. Problem solved!

Vista is designed to auto-negotiate MTU but is notoriously bad at it, and a few other things too...

So if you have networking problems with large files like music or videos, consider tweaking the MTU of your servers and or clients so that IP packets are the right size for every device on the network to be happy. If a packet exceeds the max comfortable size of a device's network interface then it has to be broken up into two parts to be transmitted, slowing or crashing the transfer. 1500 is standard MTU for wired ethernet, and usually the default on everything, but it doesn't always work in the real world. MTU should be set as large as possible while everything still works.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: MTU and You
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
Nice fix, Rich.

When I heard "Netgear," "DSL," and "Vista," I was sure that the story would have a happy ending.

Packet size can cause all kinds of issues, especially when combined with funky auto-negotiate algorithms.  It presented many problems for me when I was at the Evil Cable Company, trying to get non-business class routers to jibe with our Business Class Internet service.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
Quote from: allenzachary .....when I was at the Evil Cable Company....
[/quote

Is there any other kind?  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:49:40 PM »
It's worth trying different values to find the optimal size for your network. At work we used to have a site to site VPN to another data center, until we found the optimal MTU setting performance was abysmal. It turned out that 1300 was the optimal number for our network.

Article on using ping to figure this out: http://ttcshelbyville.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/find-and-set-your-optimal-mtu-setting-to-improve-your-connectivity/

Only takes a few minutes, worth your time as Rich mentioned, can make all the difference.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 03:19:35 PM »

When I heard "Netgear," "DSL," and "Vista," I was sure that the story would have a happy ending.

I meant to say "I was sure that the story would NOT have a happy ending."

Ruined my own joke.