Author Topic: need advice on Sonos mods  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
need advice on Sonos mods
« on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
I recently posted on AC about music streamers as I dislike my SB 2 so much. After getting a number of suggestions, I decided on the Sonos. All my CDs are 16/44 and I don't plan on buying any high rez stuff. When time and money allow, I'm going to get a dac and probably an Empirical Audio SynchroMesh. I looked into the Wyred4Sound mod, but was told to stay away from it. Should I have any simple mods done like new jacks? Steve at Empirical says any mods would be of no help because of what the SynchroMesh does. Comments would be welcome   Thanks
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: need advice on Sonos mods
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
I use a Twisted Pear Buffalo2 dac with my Sonos. The ESS Sabre32 chip does internal reclocking and fixes a lot of the jitter problems that come out of the Sonos. But adding upgrade digital SPDIF cable and upgrade spdif RCA jack both made big improvements and there is still more things to try.

The Sonos is consumer quality electronics. You buy it for the functionality, then you apply aftermarket tweaks to bring the SQ up to snuff. The functionality is worth it, to me.

I thought about modding the Sonos' guts. There are some obvious things to do in there, but after it was all done, it is still consumer design in a tiny box and there will be unsolvable problems. So applying a scrubber like Steve's, or using a modern jitter rejecting DAC is still necessary anyway.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: need advice on Sonos mods
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:51:29 AM »
I use a Twisted Pear Buffalo2 dac with my Sonos. The ESS Sabre32 chip does internal reclocking and fixes a lot of the jitter problems that come out of the Sonos. But adding upgrade digital SPDIF cable and upgrade spdif RCA jack both made big improvements and there is still more things to try.

The Sonos is consumer quality electronics. You buy it for the functionality, then you apply aftermarket tweaks to bring the SQ up to snuff. The functionality is worth it, to me.

I thought about modding the Sonos' guts. There are some obvious things to do in there, but after it was all done, it is still consumer design in a tiny box and there will be unsolvable problems. So applying a scrubber like Steve's, or using a modern jitter rejecting DAC is still necessary anyway.

Now that Logitech has abandoned Slim Devices, I am all the more happy that I am going the Sonos way. I realize the limitations, but I haven't been playing music for a year and a half with my SB 2 and it is time for a change. For $2000, I will probably get pretty decent sound and my wife will be able to use it as well. So I will do Sonos first, then a dac...maybe the  Peachtree iDac or Metrum Octave....and then very likely Steve's SynchroMesh
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS