Author Topic: Streamtheworld Infection  (Read 8692 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Streamtheworld Infection
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
Streaming radio stations are increasingly hiring Streamtheworld.com to encode their content in a flash object so it can only be played in a browser pointed at the station's website, so they can control the ads, etc. Stations that you might have listened to on Squeezebox or Sonos or Roku will suddenly go silent, because the station switched to streamtheworld, and our players can't host flash. So what to do?

The Flash object doesn't contain the audio data, it still refers to a stream available by URL which lies hidden out there on the web somewhere. The flash is a binary, so you can't edit it to see the URL. The flash only serves to obfuscate the link, which is why it is so exasperating. To listen to your radio stations which have been infected with streamtheworld koodies follow this:

1. Search Radiotime.com for your station. Nav to the station's own page. Hover on the Listen button, look in the status bar for the link. Note the 5 digit number, this is the RT number.

2. Copy this link into your browser, but before you hit enter, replace the XXXXX with your 5 digit RT number:
http://wunderradio.wunderground.com/support/wunderradio/m3u/m3umaker.m3u?action=m3u&wuiId=rt:XXXXX

(Wunderradio is an app on iPhone, which also uses Radiotime database, creating a cross reference for this decode.)

3. Your browser should respond to the link with a prompt to "Save File."  Save it as a txt file so you can open it easily. Opening a .m3u file proved surprisingly difficult on Vista without changing the default app of the filetype. Open it up with Windows Notepad and you will see at least one direct URL link to your chosen radio station's live stream.

4. Edit your media player's link with the new URL.

I was able to find my radio show playing on an Ohio station at a better time than my local station. Radiotime has a lot of radio stations from all over the world. Streamtheworld uses the radiotime database as reference numbers for encoding their streams in flash.

I hope this is of value to someone. I think that as this infection spread across all internet radio it will become more valuable over time!

Please post your experience, or suggestions for streamlining this process. I suppose a little visbasic app could be written which would take the station call sign and look up the available direct URLs automatically. Thankfully my programming days are a distant memory.

Nitesh's original article showed me how to do it, but it needed a little condensing.

I used Chrome, Nitesh uses Firefox, they work with this method. If someone tried IE, please report if it works. I wonder that IE might actually start playing the m3U instead of prompting to save.
Rich

Offline richidoo

Re: Streamtheworld Infection
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »
A direct link that I created a few months ago with this technique went dead. Apparently they change the link periodically to thwart any direct links. But it still works!

EDIT: Apparently, the original link did not go dead. It just filled up with listeners. The playlist that wunderground creates supplies several different direct links that the flash app can try to get connected.

The new one I loaded into Sonos this morning worked until I rebooted the router, then it was full when I tried to connect again. Popular programs will need you to keep the list of links handy.

I'm gonna program the last link on the list into Sonos, maybe that will be the last to be used, and will be more likely to be available.

EDIT2: Yup, the last link worked when the first ones were full.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:22:51 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
A new menace to us stream hackers

Some content providers have pulled out of radiotime, iheartradio being one of them, owned by Clearchannel. Radiotime links to all Clearchannel stations now have this link instead of the direct URL to the content:
http://stream.radiotime.com/audio/georestricted.enUS.mp3
It says "too bad for you sucker."

Sonos created a music service (like Pandora) to allow iheartradio network to be played directly on Sonos, but it has issues and looks like development to refine it has stopped. Scheduled alarms are not available, and the links don't play the labelled stations. At least the content is still available on Sonos. I assume Logitech devices are also able to access iheartradio network, but I'm not positive.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
...sigh ...

And lifting the tonearm up and down and cleaning the record is too much work? At least I know how the %#$& to do THAT.  :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
A way to make Sonos alarm trigger an iHeart Radio internet station:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=4564
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:26:24 AM by richidoo »