Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 4384 times)

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »
 :clap:   :clap:
Sunny Cable H2W10, JMR Twins, Gallo subs
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A/Soundsmith Zephyr
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C/Dyna xx2-Mk2
Carts: Music Maker 3,  Shelter 501
amps, peamps, phono stages, digital gear
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline doug s.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
sand is good, and it's easy, re: the funnel method or a cut jug, as described above.

re: m6 spikes, just do a google search on "m6 spikes", and you will come up w/a plethora of sources, likely much faster and less expensive than having to buy from the uk...  or maybe you've already done that?

doug s.
I have also filled stands with sand...several times.  So I agree it's a bit tedious if you feed it in slowly like on the video.  But use a big funnel with a big bottom hole and it's a breeze actually.   Just pour the sand in, takes a few minutes.

Even if SQ does not improve (it will) your columns become much more stable.      :thumb:

OK, Iím convinced. I realize your advice is for my own good  :lol:   
Iíll do it once those M6 spikes arrive.
https://acegif.com/gif-images-of-the-white-flag/

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »
Doug,
Surprisingly, the choices werenít good. I looked at a number of US sites. Either spikes and protective pads together or 3/8Ē or 1/2Ē long, then 2Ē long. The UK ones were just right and cheap too including shipping. Theyíve already shipped as well. Iíll do sand. Thereís a Loweís and Home Depot close by. Iíll make sure that sand is completely dry as well. Have a good sized funnel. I never had the stands completely level before, so Iím going to be diligent doing that. I know the slab isnít level.

sand is good, and it's easy, re: the funnel method or a cut jug, as described above.

re: m6 spikes, just do a google search on "m6 spikes", and you will come up w/a plethora of sources, likely much faster and less expensive than having to buy from the uk...  or maybe you've already done that?

doug s.
I have also filled stands with sand...several times.  So I agree it's a bit tedious if you feed it in slowly like on the video.  But use a big funnel with a big bottom hole and it's a breeze actually.   Just pour the sand in, takes a few minutes.

Even if SQ does not improve (it will) your columns become much more stable.      :thumb:

OK, Iím convinced. I realize your advice is for my own good  :lol:   
Iíll do it once those M6 spikes arrive.
https://acegif.com/gif-images-of-the-white-flag/
Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp
Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2021, 08:52:34 PM »
:clap:   :clap:

Thank you. Seems anythingís possible nowadays. Old dog = new tricks  :)
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and hereÖdo expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didnít want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate soundstage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When Iíve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then Iíll mess with speaker placement a bit more.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and hereÖdo expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didnít want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When Iíve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then Iíll mess with speaker placement a bit more.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »

a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrangeÖand there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really donít have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »

charles
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, thatís what Iíll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:07 PM »

charles

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, thatís what Iíll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.

Have fun. Enjoy your trip.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Mad Scientist, Swiss Cables

Offline steve

• Audiologist
    • Reference components
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve
Steve Sammet (retired, owner, SAS Audio Labs)
"V" Very Low Capacitance ICs, 40pf 1 meter
SAS Audio Labs Test Phono Stage
SAS Audio 11A Tube Reference Preamplifier
SAS Audio Labs 25 W Triode Reference Monoblocks
2 way test Spkrs, 28 - 20khz  -3db (28hz)

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »

charles

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve

Hi Steve,
Iím still in California, but heading home tomorrow. Sure have missed my music! 🎶🎶 I need to still work on placement. I would think my m6 spikes have been delivered and once placement is dialed in, Iíll fill the stands with sand (thanks toobluvrÖ :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:09:50 PM by Nick B »
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »
Well, am taking a brief break in between projects. Decided to install the m6 spikes from the UK (what a nice deal) and put them onto the Herbieís cone/spike puckies. Fired things up mid day, (system cold) which I rarely do. What a nice improvement. Improved resolution of instrument timbre, of individual voices within a chorus, cleaner bass. This is just playing a few songs Iím familiar with.

Iíll listen a little more, then back to projects. Oh, this is without sand. Just didnít want to get to it yet. The speaker stand top plate has 4 bolts, so it should be pretty simple to do.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2021, 09:45:07 PM »
Finally got around to buying playground sand. Nice and clean. Opened up the bag and have some in a bucket ready to go for tomorrow for the speaker stands.
Border Patrol SEi dac
Audio Envy cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS