Author Topic: Speaker stand suggestions?  (Read 8200 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Speaker stand suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »

At this point you need to start thinking outside of the box, or more specifically outside of the post.  :-k

What about fashioning a funnel out of light cardboard where the output end was just big enough to fit over the outside of the post and then duct taping it in place. If you tape it tightly to the post the leakage will likely be minimal and might even be less that the spillage you would have using the small funnel.

Just a thought.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 10:58:16 AM »

At this point you need to start thinking outside of the box, or more specifically outside of the post.  :-k

What about fashioning a funnel out of light cardboard where the output end was just big enough to fit over the outside of the post and then duct taping it in place. If you tape it tightly to the post the leakage will likely be minimal and might even be less that the spillage you would have using the small funnel.

Just a thought.
That is a great idea.  I was thinking about a funnel that was taped to the top, but this is a much, much better approach.  This would allow the sand to flow through the entire widths of the openings.   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »

Just a thought.
That is a great idea.  I was thinking about a funnel that was taped to the top, but this is a much, much better approach.  This would allow the sand to flow through the entire widths of the openings.   :thumb:

My mother killed all of the dumb ones.   :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:04 PM »

Just a thought.

Tom that is a really, really good idea. There are two columns, so I was going to try and isolate one and do one at a time. However, this new concept of thinking outside the box really got me going …  :lol:  So I am going to use heavy stock paper that I just bought and tape all the way around and also tape across the small opening between the two columns. It should go pretty fast with an absolute minimum of spillage.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
One speaker stand is done ..meaning both columns 🎉🍷🎶  very easy cleanup and it appears nothing is leaking at the bottom. I plan to look for a dowel and compress the sand a little bit anyway.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
One speaker stand is done ..meaning both columns 🎉🍷🎶  very easy cleanup and it appears nothing is leaking at the bottom. I plan to look for a dowel and compress the sand a little bit anyway.
To compress the sand get a hammer and wrap the head with a towel and gently tap the sides of the stands working from the bottom to the top and back down for a couple of minutes per stand. Seismic settling is much more effective than trying to tamp from the top - all that really does is move the sand around and doesn't settle the filler.  I've done this for years and it is the most effective way.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
To compress the sand get a hammer and wrap the head with a towel and gently tap the sides of the stands working from the bottom to the top and back down for a couple of minutes per stand. Seismic settling is much more effective than trying to tamp from the top - all that really does is move the sand around and doesn't settle the filler.  I've done this for years and it is the most effective way.

Thanks, Dave. One stand is completely done including the hammering 🔨
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 07:23:36 PM »
Tom saved the day!  :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 07:29:24 PM »
Tom saved the day!  :thumb:

Yep, great idea by Tom and your hammering suggestion worked very well.
Thanks guys  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 05:15:27 AM »
I just shook mine back and forth a little to help it settle, but the hammering sounds like a great idea.

Mine got filled about 6 years ago. One of these days I am going to have to pop the top plate off and take a peek to see how much the sand settled over time.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »
I just shook mine back and forth a little to help it settle, but the hammering sounds like a great idea.

Mine got filled about 6 years ago. One of these days I am going to have to pop the top plate off and take a peek to see how much the sand settled over time.

I used Dave’s hammer method to get the sand settled and then I used as big an Allen wrench as possible to fit into the metal gaps and tamp down the accessible sand as best I could. The process worked quite well.

What is interesting is that the sand added a bigger improvement than the ethernet cable did. The resolution is much improved and there is additional layering. I’m able to much more easily hear individual voices in a chorus. Transients are lightning fast and razor sharp and I wasn’t used to that type of a presentation. For a while last night I was thinking this is too much of a good thing….
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »

I use a vibrator. Easier.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2021, 01:02:51 PM »

charles

Did the wife miss it?

:rofl:
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »

charles

Did the wife miss it?

:rofl:
Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!   :rofl:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 08:51:59 PM »
Damn it Nick, withal of this talk about hammers and vibrators I had to pull the top plate off of my B&W stands and check the sand level. And wouldn't you know it, the level has dropped to about 1/2 inch below the top. I guess after playing them over the years the speakers vibrating (especially the bass) facilitated some additional seismic settling. Now that little 1/2 inch gap in the sand should not really make a significant difference on a 28 inch columns, but I know that this is going to bother me until I get the time to top them off.  :roll:

This does make a good point thought that any of us who have filled sands should look at them every few years to see if normal usage has cause any more settling. I think I am going to add this to my list of regular maintenance items and look at the stands whenever I do periodic things like contact cleaning and system demagnetizing.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9