Author Topic: Automobile hard drive-based audio - need help/resources  (Read 2223 times)

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Automobile hard drive-based audio - need help/resources
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
I've a close friend who works for HP who lost his wife two weeks ago to lung cancer (he's got 2 girls, one who recently finished sophomore year in college, the other will be a HS senior this fall). We've been spending time together grieving, trying to find some path to normalcy, etc. Music seems to be part of that path.

Anyway, my buddy came over to do some downloads to a portable (USB2.0) 250 GB (or so) hard drive, then came back for more, and more, and more. Conversation revealed that he wants to be able to access his now-growing musical collection, via the HD, in his auto. I've been nudging him that my feeling was he'd need both hardware and software interfaces for this to move forward. My own research prior to heading off to work this morning is that FAT32 formatted HDs may be read / somehow integrated with a car audio system, but that others need not apply. I can't say I've spent more than a few hours trying to get some  facts together.

So, I'm soliciting advice from anyone who's using the car HD thing or is knowledgeable about it. In advance, thanks much for all replies. Mods, if you feel this thread / topic should be moved elsewhere, please do so.

Oh yeah, a Happy and safe 4th of July weekend to all forum members.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis