Author Topic: Bluetooth Volume Question...  (Read 3759 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Bluetooth Volume Question...
« on: July 16, 2019, 04:15:56 AM »
Good Morning,
I know that phono preamps can be overloaded into distortion, as can other types of inputs as well.
What about a Bluetooth receiver? In other words, does the level of output on my iPad matter regarding distortion of the signal, either at the output side (iPad) or input (Bluetooth receiver).
Should the output on the iPad or iPod via Bluetooth always be set at max, with volume controlled at the amplifier, or is there a level at which the signal distorts, as it would in the analog domain.
And yes, I know Bluetooth is far from perfect for a hifi signal; I’m just theorizing here.
BTW, the signal I’m passing is Tidal, or files from my iPad. The iPad files have mainly been cd to iTunes via Apple lossless.
Thanks for any input, pun intended...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Bluetooth Volume Question...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
 Should be set at "fixed". Use the volume control from preamp.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Bluetooth Volume Question...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »
Bluetooth is a digital interface between devices.  Unless the source material was overloaded before digitization, it will not overload the interface. 

If this is a stand alone Bluetooth interface, then it will depend on the preamp gain.   For best signal to noise ratio, best to run the Bluetooth receiver at full output and then attenuate with the preamp volume control. 

As Charles says if the Bluetooth receiver has a fixed output, that would be the best to use with a preamp volume control.