Author Topic: Ceiling placement for GIK Gridfusors  (Read 3518 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Ceiling placement for GIK Gridfusors
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Hi again Bryan,

Thanks for the info on the color of the Gridfusors - the pic on the website really makes them look tan/brown.

I have some questions re ceiling placement of the Gridfusors (not in a grid, just on a flat ceiling).

Maybe you'd have some comments as I think outloud...

Room is 13' x 17', speakers on long wall. Ceiling is 8'. Drivers are ~ 32" and ears ~ 40" off the ground. I already have tons of treatments in the room and will be replacing a single 242 on the ceiling with some diffusion. The 242 is barely wide enough, if that, to cover both ceiling reflection points.

I made some cheesy Powerpoint diagrams for fun - The dimensions and placements are pretty close...

View is from above.

If I just use 2 panels on the ceiling, will there be sufficient diffusion area to have some effect? I'm mulling the idea of using 1 diffusor @ each side-wall first reflection point, but since the room is relatively wide and there are diffusive elements on the side already this isn't too much of a concern for me.

What orientation would one use for a pr of diffusors on the ceiling - Diffusion ribs front -to-back:

or side-to-side:

If I put all 4 on the ceiling, I had the thought of using a "V" shape that follows the line between the speaker and the listener. But with what panel orientations?

or

or some version of:

OR, I could put them in a straight line across the first reflection point, again with a variety of orientations:

or:

or some combination:

OR (it never ends does it!) a modification of the straight-line thing:

I know you can't give a definitive answer, but does anything pop out as a no-no, or a "yes, that might be good"

Thanks for bearing with me. Placing my order tonight. :thumb:

-Mike

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Ceiling placement for GIK Gridfusors
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
Bump  (since the Gridfusors just showed up)  :thumb: