Author Topic: 12AU7 Tubes  (Read 48690 times)

Offline mboldda1

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: 12AU7 Tubes
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »
i also have usher speakers, the 6381's. the tubes that i find that i like in the belles are the: cbs/hytron 5814wa, rca command 5814a triple mica blackplates, rca 5814 triple mica blackplates, raytheon 12au7 triple mica blackplates, brimar 13d5.  i'll go back and put the cleartops in, maybe it's that they are so different in sound from the other tubes that i like. i'm also trying to get a pair of amperex 7316 (at a reasonable price) to try out.
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

dpastern

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »
Well, being a tube newbie, I recently purchased some tubes for tube rolling in my Yaqin MS-12B preamp.  I replaced the stock standard Chinese tubes with a pair of electro-harmonix 12au7's ... they're not burnt in yet, but so far, I'm preferring the sound of the Chinese tubes to be honest.  I'm finding the EH's are a bit too lush and smooth and the top end is a wee bit bright and lacking in fine detail that the Chinese tubes have/had.

I also replaced the 12ax7 tubes in this preamp with tung sols, so that's probably influencing the sound too now that I think about it.  I'll let things burn in for a few hundred hours and see how it goes. 

Dave

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
I am pigging backing on the thread.  Looking for 12au7 tubes which could help tame some of the highs on gr-research/av123 ls6 and provide a bit wider stage.  The pre in question is response audio bella l/p.

TIA
-Deepak

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »
Guys:

I know that many of you have done some tube rolling in preamps.  I am wondering what you have found to be your favorite 12AU7 Tubes?  

Thanks,

Ken

I really love these pretty rare Brimar T-series 6067... Great sound!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

evan1

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
I am pigging backing on the thread.  Looking for 12au7 tubes which could help tame some of the highs on gr-research/av123 ls6 and provide a bit wider stage.  The pre in question is response audio bella l/p.

TIA
-Deepak

Dee try the Mullard CV4003 from upscale. That is what I use . Call me , I know someone who has a ton of 12AU7's for you to try.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »
Grant announced new premium tubes from Shuguang over on AC last week. There is a 12AU7 among the lot. Tempting.  But the pins look crooked on every small tube pictured. Less important to the sound, but how hard is it to make them straight like $8 New Sensor tubes?

Offline Bunky

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
Grant announced new premium tubes from Shuguang over on AC last week. There is a 12AU7 among the lot. Tempting.  But the pins look crooked on every small tube pictured. Less important to the sound, but how hard is it to make them straight like $8 New Sensor tubes?
Hey Rich ,That is so funny ! i noticed the same thing when i first saw the pictures posted at AC  ;)
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

iGrant

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
I would have thought the fact that they spelled Pavane wrong on everything would catch more peoples attention :) Hand made tubes will rarely be visually perfect. Getting any two tubes that are perfectly matched on a tube tester is also another adventure, especially dual section tubes such as the 12AU7. Great sounding tubes, feedback from customers should be rolling out soon.

Cheers,
Ian

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:29 AM »
Hand made tubes will rarely be visually perfect.

So the guy is holding the pins by hand while the glass cools?   [-(   Their cheap tubes have straight pins.

I'm looking forward to seeing the user comments. With the washout of Techtubes last year, the world still needs some premium 9 pins.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 07:39:02 AM »
I am pigging backing on the thread.  Looking for 12au7 tubes which could help tame some of the highs on gr-research/av123 ls6 and provide a bit wider stage.  The pre in question is response audio bella l/p.

TIA
-Deepak

I like RCA Blackplates.  Tight, punchy bottom, lush but not overly soft mids, extended but slightly laid back highs.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 09:11:23 AM »
I like RCA Blackplates.  Tight, punchy bottom, lush but not overly soft mids, extended but slightly laid back highs.

Bryan

Later RCAs (gray) are similar, right Bryan? That's how my grays sound, but I only heard them in one preamp.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »
I don't find the greys as rich in the mids but similar in the top and bottom.  The cleartops, on the other hand, are considerably more forward, at least in any gear I've tried them in.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
Agreed on the clears. I think the shy bass makes it seem bright. But the highs were clear and open, I liked that.  Telefunkens, otoh, were too lean and bright for my taste. But mine could have been worn.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
Deepak,

The 12AU7s in the VAC pre you heard at your house were by RFT.

I've found them to be a well balanced tube - no prominence in any direction but I have not tried too many so my experience pales to most.

I'll be trying one in my EE DAC when it comes.

Jim McShane has some, and I also got some from Mask on AC, w/ very good service and low low price.  :thumb:

-Mike

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
  I agree with Brian about the RCAs. Rich Teles are usually rich in character with plenty of detail. The Brimars are probably the best sounding overall but its the synergy thing that matters the most.
  For example RFTs are known to be a tad bright but in a VAC almost perfect in the CAT preamp BRIGHT. goggle Joes tube Law he describes all the tubes quite well. Taught me a thing or two. 
  Shuquang has had its issues in the past with new production tube quality and sonics. I have owned quite a few.  Maybe this time they got it right.  At the offering price of the new tubes I would  consider  NOS tubes as well. Vintage Tube Service offers a twenty day return policy plus a one year guarantee if the tube fails. Ya can't beat that.  I have several pairs of tubes from Andy that are still going strong after many years of use. He also has the best test equipment around. He treats the pins with a unique cleaning process that does make a sonic difference.
  With the long journey in shipping, a new production run and no user reports with only a 30 day warranty IMO an extended warranty is a must. If they turn out to be great tubes God Bless and good luck.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.