Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Fluxbusting / Demag.

(1/1)

rollo:
My Linn has been down for about a year due to a worn out Valhalla power supply board. During that time I was considering different tables. After listening to several I felt the money would be better spent adding the Lingo power supply. Accent on Music performed the operation. Patient is doing well but noticed the Music sounded a bit dull and sibilant.
       I thought it was a tube synergy thing so changing I went. Still no major Improvement. What to do . I changed powercords, footers, ICs. Still not there.
       Frustation and Nervosa were forming to critical. After a Stella or two I realized that the Cart. was idle for a year. Duh! Where is my Fluxbuster? Ah! there it is. There is alot of shit around here to fumble through after 30 years in this hobby.
       So I connected the Fluxbuster in and ran it through its cycle for each channel. Reconnected everything and gave a listen.
        I was not prepared to hear what I heard. Amazing. Like I bought a new Cart. Wow!  Everything was back and in spades. It wasn't dull anymore. The clarity and dynamics were eye openers. I just could not believe the difference. Soundstage opened further and imaging improved. Bass improved as well with more focus and weight. The sibilance was gone. Gone baby gone.
        If you havn't demag. your Cart. DO so, more than highly recco. If you can locate a Sumiko Fluxbuster snatch it up, you won't be sorry. A real improvement.

rollo   

richidoo:

--- Quote from: rollo on September 26, 2007, 06:24:42 AM ---There is alot of shit around here to fumble through after 30 years in this hobby.

--- End quote ---
Another classic rolloism. hehe   

When I was searching google to find a picture of fluxbuster I came across this article.
Thanks for the tip.
Rich

bobrex:
Be careful when recommending fluxbusting.  Not all manufacturers recommend it, here is VanDen Hul's FAQ on the subject:

"Q: Can I improve the sound by so-called “demagnetization” of my phono cartridge ?

A: NEVER demagnetize a M.M. cartridge with the replaceable stylus still inserted. It will ruin the mini-magnet at the end of the cantilever in its magnetic power. With the stylus insert removed you can consider it, but first read the rest of this answer:
From a more theoretical point of view, I think it is not wise to demagnetize. It is a short term effect with more negative side effects on the long-term. Your first experience will be very positive as also was mine. But after 2 record sides you have to do this again and it never stops. So you have become a serious victim. And keep in mind: the original cartridge magnet already puts the tiny armature in such a strong magnetic field that its magnetization is unavoidable, so why should you demagnetize? Also, since the magnet never is perfectly at center position but always has some offset, the mu-metal made centre of the coil system always holds residual magnetism and can’t become demagnetized. And if this is not enough: The current through the 20 micron thin coil wire is so small that there is no chance to build up any serious magnetic field to cancel the existing residual magnetism. What it only does is breaking down the magnetic domain boundaries in the mu-metal. This improves the magnetic resolution of the music. But after a short while these boundaries will be there again and the number of atoms per magnetic domain has only got bigger. So the magnetic resolution is worsening instead of getting better. So from the point of view: “I bought the thing and now I will use it”, you have to use it. The only advantage is that some crystal boundaries inside the coil wires are welded. But as soon as you move the armature by playing your records that effect is over again. So save the money and buy some good records. "

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version