Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Cartridge change?

(1/3) > >>

lcrim:
I have been breaking in a mostly new system in the livingroom.  I'm guessing I've got about 175 hours on the Hemps and the 13EM7 amp and maybe 75 hours on the Speltz Anticables.  So these things are still changing and maybe the final character will be somewhat different.  
I had Kevin Barrett (KAB) rewire the tonearm and back on my Technics 1200 MKII as well.  The cartridge I use, the Audio Technica OC9ML MKII has a reputation of sounding "zingy" or "ringy" in some systems.  The detail retrieval and crisp imaging with this system is about as good as I've heard, BTW.  
Sometimes analog playback takes on this zingy character, especially on well recorded rock.  Or maybe its just me and its not an issue.  I talked to several people about it and was told to give things more time to break-in but I also heard that the cart does have that character.
I swapped the "Groovemaster" MM in for a while last night as a check but went back to the OC9 because the "magic" was missing.  Kevin has made available at cost a NOS cart that he thinks would be more nearly neutral.
If it doesn't clear up, any LOMC suggestions for reasonable dough that would be a better match?  The Denon DL-103 has a VTF that is so high it makes me worry about what it may do to my vinyl's surface.   Reasonable dough means $350 give or take.
TIA

Carlman:
Hm... Does it have to be LO?  The Dynavector 10X5 is fairly neutral but still has the detail/resolution to create great imaging and soundstage.

I think mine was 350, can't remember exactly.  It's really mid-output at 2.5mV... I've only heard great things about the LO 20XL but it's much more money I think.

Best of luck,
Carl

Woodsyi:
Larry,

Have you listened through all the LPs?  I have a used Benz Micro Ruby2 that I got as a trade-in bate.  You want to try it for a while?  Don't worry about the usage since I am going to trade it in for a Ruby3.  I also have a metal body Benz MC3 which was one of their best over 15 years ago that I got thrown in with an arm that's just sitting here.  You can try that too.  In fact, you can even have it.  It's about the same as a glider.  I am stuck on Koetzu sound and keeping that set up which is testing out the new SWLP phono section.

lcrim:
Rim:
I have a small pile left to listen to, I have been cleaning about ten at a time and then listening.  Again thanks for your generosity.  The Resphigi selections in particular were big hits. :lol:
I would love to listen to either cart as this is still a learning experience.  Thanks are due again.  I would be happy to pay you back for any shipping expenses.

Woodsyi:
Larry,

I still have your work address.  You want things shipped there. Right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version