Author Topic: PIAUDIO DIGIBUSS  (Read 63247 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Re: PIAUDIO DIGIBUSS
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
All i mean the oven is probably on one 120V phase and the elements, timers and everything are on another.  Which is the only allowable way that i can think of on a 15 amp house circuit. I have never seen a wiring diagram for a stove.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
No seriously, there are absolutes in audio. One is running a 240v for an audio system. Or at least multiple 15 amp services. Its the same reason why you can not run a stove on 120V. The power to run out all elements and stove heat is not capable on  120V. Powering a system is about overkill. If you are going to run a conditioner it may as well be in 240V to accommodate that. Everything will work fed 120V but really should be in front of a transformer. There is a ratio though and the conditioner needs to dwarf the VA power ahead of it. Or else its gets gimped. Then i agree, since the local transformer will be overkill (if you are close enough to it). Then it might better running multiple 15 amp dedicated services.

But of course nothing is ever free because when adding step down transformers we will then need to deal with issues such the heat and mechanical vibrations they generate and other electrical issues related to transformers like core saturation.  Not that any of them have to be a game stopper, but they just add another layer of complexities that need to be dealt with.  

They are just out of phase. There is no step down and why i think it is so quiet.

2 120volt phases with a ground and no neutral. IF you got the AVR 240 volt ,probably need a neutral.

err - step-down at 240V - 2 120V 10 amp feeds to 120 20 amp single phase...  :lol:

I am having trouble describing...  :duh  :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:21:09 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
I prefer one for amplification and one for source. You can have analogue or digital on the same line assuming one is turned off.

I absolutely agree about having separate circuits for power amps. (Especially big ones like the ARC VT-200  :D)

When you think about it this is just an extension of why we have separate pre and power amps, so that any big transient draws by the power amp section with not starve the pre amp of the power it needs to operate.

What i like about 240V and its the same whether its stove or hi fi conditioner is the lack of a neutral return. On 240V the return drives the opposite phase. Opposed to the neutral back to the fuse box. I am not so sure  power cables and receptacles are doing their best work on the supply into the amp but are improving the return back to the local transformer. The return  completes the circuit and basically tells the transformer whats on the line and what it needs on the supply. Does't it? The ability for the transformer to return or complete the circuit i think is harder to accomplish than the forward powered leg of the local neighborhood transformer. So you have the positive 120V leg returning down the negative leg which drives the negative phase back. Returns down the positive phase and sets up the drive for the powered positive  return back. The return is driven by the change in current characteristics of the transformer. Its small on the return but the 120v potential seen by both transformers allow it to work.
What do you think. Does that make sense?

I really do not know how accurate that is. ?  It seems to make sense though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:38:55 PM by Werd »
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
All i mean the oven is probably on one 120V phase and the elements, timers and everything are on another.  Which is the only allowable way that i can think of on a 15 amp house circuit. I have never seen a wiring diagram for a stove.

Of course you couldn't run it on a 15 amp 120 circuit. My point was that an electric stove usually runs on a 40 amp 240 V circuit. It could just as well run on 120v, but then you would need an 80 amp 120 circuit and the wiring for that would be crazy expensive.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
DigiBUSS arrived and installed with my MS-3 Music Server, monitor, and 500GB SSD.  On travel, but will give it a good listen when I get back.  Will be interesting to hear it as it gets time on it.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »
DigiBUSS arrived and installed with my MS-3 Music Server, monitor, and 500GB SSD.  On travel, but will give it a good listen when I get back.  Will be interesting to hear it as it gets time on it.

Your going to be a happy camper. WARNING : it needs hours lots of hours. Over 300 as usual with PIAudio products.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dpatters

• Seeking Help
  • Audiofool in Happy Valley
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
My DigiBUSS arrived late last week.  I installed it on Friday evening. CD Transport, DAC, TV, Blu-ray, and cable box plugged into it.  DigiBUSS plugged into UberBUSS. Hypex NC400 monoblocks, preamp, and analog front end plugged into Uber. Full loom of TWL PCs. Rollo put about 150 hours on it before shipping since I was on vacation.

Another great product from Dave at PI Audio. Of course I bought it for the transport and DAC and am really happy with my digital sound.  I think what surprised me though was the improved picture quality on the 55" TV.  Nice bonus :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:06:30 AM by dpatters »
Vapor Audio Joule Black
Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps
Kinki Studio EX-P7 preamp
Jay’s Audio CD-2MKII transport
Jay’s Audio DAC Signature
Music Hall MMF 7.1/Ortofon 2M Black MM
Graham Slee Gold Era Mark V phono pre
TWL Full Loom
Totally custom UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
My DigiBUSS arrived late last week.  I installed it on Friday evening. CD Transport, DAC, TV, Blu-ray, and cable box plugged into it.  DigiBUSS plugged into UberBUSS. Hypex NC400 monoblocks, preamp, and analog front end plugged into Uber. Full loom of TWL PCs. Rollo put about 150 hours on it before shipping since I was on vacation.

Another great product from Dave at PI Audio. Of course I bought it for the transport and DAC and am really happy with my digital sound.  I think what surprised me though was the improved picture quality on the 55" TV.  Nice bonus :thumb:

Not sure if the Digibuss has enough capacity, but if it does you might want to try plugging the monoblocks into it because they use switching power supplies and produce the same kind of noise that your other digital components do.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 03:31:21 PM »

Thanks, Don.  I try to only offer products that I would buy and I am really picky about where I spend the few $$$ I have. 

It'll get better for another week or so.

Enjoy!

D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »

Not sure if the Digibuss has enough capacity, but if it does you might want to try plugging the monoblocks into it because they use switching power supplies and produce the same kind of noise that your other digital components do.
Every product that I make has current handling capacity in excess of 25A @ 125VAC to mitigate current limiting.  Each outlet is individually filtered and will prove some isolation between every other outlet.  My UberBUSS has one filter package per receptacle, the Digi has two.  The Uber, however, has the PFC network that is a monster for unleashing dynamics with linear power supplies.  For those with linear power supplies, Carles Rollo will have an UberBUSS to put out on the road for audition next week.  Ya gotta try it!

HTH,

D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Rogerdn

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2016, 06:46:25 PM »

Dave, what about the NC400's on the DB/UB ?

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »

Roger,  no worries.  You should try it and hear if the SQ is better.  This is new technology and input is needed by more than just me to determine the efficacy of any treatment.  Let us all know!

Offline tmazz

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »

Every product that I make has current handling capacity in excess of 25A @ 125VAC to mitigate current limiting.  Each outlet is individually filtered and will prove some isolation between every other outlet.  My UberBUSS has one filter package per receptacle, the Digi has two.  The Uber, however, has the PFC network that is a monster for unleashing dynamics with linear power supplies.  For those with linear power supplies, Carles Rollo will have an UberBUSS to put out on the road for audition next week.  Ya gotta try it!

HTH,

D

I did not know what the specs were, but it sure sounds like the Digi would have no problems powering the amps.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline dpatters

• Seeking Help
  • Audiofool in Happy Valley
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 09:05:38 AM »

HTH,

D

I did not know what the specs were, but it sure sounds like the Digi would have no problems powering the amps.
I'll have to move some things around to try the amps in the Digi as I only have one outlet free on it now. 6 available plugs ad I have 5 being used. I'll move the Blu-ray player to the Uber as I don't use it very often. I'll report back next week.
Vapor Audio Joule Black
Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps
Kinki Studio EX-P7 preamp
Jay’s Audio CD-2MKII transport
Jay’s Audio DAC Signature
Music Hall MMF 7.1/Ortofon 2M Black MM
Graham Slee Gold Era Mark V phono pre
TWL Full Loom
Totally custom UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »

There is plenty of capacity, especially considering the high efficiency of the NC power supplies.