Author Topic: Music you Don't like  (Read 2459 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Music you Don't like
« on: October 03, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
After Guy's comments on Celine Dion and country music that got this thread started here: https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7212.15

I just have to say that I absolutely hate whisper pop. What is 'whisper pop' you might ask? It is the opposite of over singing that usually we hear with belters or some American Idol contestants :lol:.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/11/whisperpop-why-stars-choosing-breathy-intensity-over-vocal-paint-stripping

It is the breathy type of singing that most new pop or indie acts perform. Under singing and croaking. If you have teenage daughters or sons they might be into this. Google Billie Eillish, Halsey, Justin Bieber, etc. Very generic. None of these performers can really sing live without amplification or tons of compression in the studio - there is no breath support.

Paul

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
Re: Music you Don't like
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:27:07 PM »
After Guy's comments on Celine Dion and country music that got this thread started here: https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7212.15

I just have to say that I absolutely hate whisper pop. What is 'whisper pop' you might ask? It is the opposite of over singing that usually we hear with belters or some American Idol contestants :lol:.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/11/whisperpop-why-stars-choosing-breathy-intensity-over-vocal-paint-stripping

Hi malloy and all.

Thanks for adding comments to the topic I have started.
I'm sure there are more members that have something to say,
but hesitate, maybe with your comments, they will come forward.

Maybe the reason why I am not a fan of singer (Male or female) it's because to me,
many times it's difficult to understand the words of the song,
the reason (In part) might be because English is not my native language ?
Also I've notice that on one of Adčle LP the music is too loud and at times,
it's difficult to understand what she's saying- singning.

That's what I think.

Guy 13

It is the breathy type of singing that most new pop or indie acts perform. Under singing and croaking. If you have teenage daughters or sons they might be into this. Google Billie Eillish, Halsey, Justin Bieber, etc. Very generic. None of these performers can really sing live without amplification or tons of compression in the studio - there is no breath support.

Paul
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »

Hi malloy and all.

Thanks for adding comments to the topic I have started.
I'm sure there are more members that have something to say,
but hesitate, maybe with your comments, they will come forward.

Maybe the reason why I am not a fan of singer (Male or female) it's because to me,
many times it's difficult to understand the words of the song,
the reason (In part) might be because English is not my native language ?
Also I've notice that on one of Adčle LP the music is too loud and at times,
it's difficult to understand what she's saying- singning.

That's what I think.

Guy 13

Paul

Hi Paul,
You sure come up with some interesting stuff! I listened to Halsey and Billie Eillish on YouTube and didn’t care for that style.  There were also some videos of women speaking in a very whispered voice. That was a bit puzzling and annoying. As to artists belting out songs, I don’t listen to those artists. It reminds me of Ethel Merman when I was a kid.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »
Whisperpop! So it has a name... It is creeping in everywhere. I've heard it, recognize it, and for some reason, despise it. Thank you for putting a name to this demonic music.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline malloy

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:42:36 PM »
Hi Paul,
You sure come up with some interesting stuff! I listened to Halsey and Billie Eillish on YouTube and didn’t care for that style.  There were also some videos of women speaking in a very whispered voice. That was a bit puzzling and annoying. As to artists belting out songs, I don’t listen to those artists. It reminds me of Ethel Merman when I was a kid.
Nick

Funny comparison to Ethel Merman, Nick!

Paul

Offline malloy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
Whisperpop! So it has a name... It is creeping in everywhere. I've heard it, recognize it, and for some reason, despise it. Thank you for putting a name to this demonic music.

Yes, whisper pop!  I was looking for whatever genre keeps on annoying me, day in day out at the office. I work with a lot of millennials and Gen Z 'kids'. They listen to this kind of music. Apparently, a lot of young people mistake this kind of singing as expressive or emotional.  ](*,)

They mistake it for being 'deep'.

Now, I've listened to a lot of 'questionable' genres in my youth, and I still do - punk, rap, hip hop, metal, jpop, kpop, etc. but at least most of the artists bring something unique to the table, these whisper pop artists do not!  :duh A YouTuber even demonstrated how easy it is to sing like this: ttps://youtu.be/e-0K77ccAOU Funny clip.

Demonic music, indeed!

Next genre for me would be emo music. Stay tuned!

Paul

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
Music you Don't like
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:40:52 AM »
Hi all.
The music I don't like, is the music that burries (Overpower ? ? ? ) the voice of the singer.
I saw - heard that on one of Adčle's vinyl
and not only Adčle, many other singer...
One more thing that I don't like, is when the music lever is way below the average
of others...
Many of my old vinyl have weak bass, that's why I am considering buying  Schiit Loki
to boost the bass.
For me : Music without decent bass, is just noise !

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.