Author Topic: Cold weather means Chili  (Read 2223 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Cold weather means Chili
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
OK, guys and gals(?) here you go for all things New Mexico chili:

https://chileaddict.com/

Yep, they ship and the owner is a very cool lady that has owned it forever!   :thumb:
Cool store!  Years ago I had a pound of dried green chili powder that I bought from a roadside seller in the middle of the NM desert while traveling from here to there.  I used it for years before it finally lost it's flavor. 
I've never seen it in stores anywhere in Texas... so I'll be placing an order soon. 
Thanks, Dave. 

Update: These guys are competitive on pricing, but not on shipping.  $20 to ship 4 oz of powder that could go in a $6 USPS box.
FYI, the $6.00 USPS box is now $9.45.  I shipped two out before I came over to visit Danny.  USPS has been raising rates about every 2 months, but at least their service sucks.
Wow!  That's nearly a 60% increase!!!! I bet their wages haven't gone up 60%.  They don't pay rent.  Vehicle and fuel cost have gone up, but not near that much.   I'd love to see how the Postmaster General defends this.   
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2022, 07:18:15 PM »

Yep, they ship and the owner is a very cool lady that has owned it forever!   :thumb:
Cool store!  Years ago I had a pound of dried green chili powder that I bought from a roadside seller in the middle of the NM desert while traveling from here to there.  I used it for years before it finally lost it's flavor. 
I've never seen it in stores anywhere in Texas... so I'll be placing an order soon. 
Thanks, Dave. 

Update: These guys are competitive on pricing, but not on shipping.  $20 to ship 4 oz of powder that could go in a $6 USPS box.
FYI, the $6.00 USPS box is now $9.45.  I shipped two out before I came over to visit Danny.  USPS has been raising rates about every 2 months, but at least their service sucks.
Wow!  That's nearly a 60% increase!!!! I bet their wages haven't gone up 60%.  They don't pay rent.  Vehicle and fuel cost have gone up, but not near that much.   I'd love to see how the Postmaster General defends this.
Scott, he doesn't have to.  That's part of the problem.  Someone has to pay for all of the cheap-assed Amazon contract shipments.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2022, 10:21:39 PM »

Thanks, Dave. 

Scot the fact is that the Postal service had a net operating loss of close to $5billion  last year. They have to raise prices somewhere and package delivery is then most logical target. Simple economics tells us that a firm should look to get the highest profit margins from the most price inelastic products. Or in simpler terms you raise prices on the things that give people the lest alternative choices. The volumes of regular mail, things like letters and adverting materials have been consistently dropping over the past decade as more an more of those types of communications are being done electronically. Emails are replacing paper correspondence and people are getting more and more bills and paying them electronically. And the more they raise the price of stamps the faster that conversion will occur. Packages are another story. While it is easy and convenient to shop online, for most purchases (and all purchases of physical goods) there is no way to deliver the products electronically. The online stores must still rely on package delivery services like the USPS. Add to that the fact that the pandemic has gotten people very used to doing a very large percentage of their shopping online and we are looking at a situation where the increase in parcel shipping prices is likely to have a minimal effect on the volume of packages being shipped.

The postal service used to get huge amounts of revenue from delivering what we called "junk mail", catalogs and paper advertisements. But with most of that marketing switching to targeted online ads directing people to web sites, spending on junk mail has dried up to a small fraction of what it once was. (When is the last time you got a Harbor Freight catalog in the mail, Iused to get mailings from them several time a month, now it is all emails.)

So basically the postal service is operating at a loss and they need to evaluate a) who is still using their services and b) of the services still being used, which ones can absorb price increases without driving away an amount of business that would negate the extra revenue from the price increase. As someone who spent a good part of my career evaluating pricing plans and their overall net effect on total company revenue, my eye in this situation goes right to parcel delivery. And I realize that increasing parcel delivery rates really sucks for those of us who ship packages, especially for personal as opposed to business reasons, but it is probably the best option for the USPS from a business planning perspective.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:27:37 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2022, 10:41:15 PM »

Scot the fact is that the Postal service had a net operating loss of close to $5billion  last year. They have to raise prices somewhere and package delivery is then most logical target. Simple economics tells us that a firm should look to get the highest profit margins from the most price inelastic products. Or in simpler terms you raise prices on the things that give people the lest alternative choices. The volumes of regular mail, things like letters and adverting materials have been consistently dropping over the past decade as more an more of those types of communications are being done electronically. Emails are replacing paper correspondence and people are getting more and more bills and paying them electronically. And the more they raise the price of stamps the faster that conversion will occur. Packages are another story. While it is easy and convenient to shop online, for most purchases (and all purchases of physical goods) there is no way to deliver the products electronically. The online stores must still rely on package delivery services like the USPS. Add to that the fact that the pandemic has gotten people very used to doing a very large percentage of their shopping online and we are looking at a situation where the increase in parcel shipping prices is likely to have a minimal effect on the volume of packages being shipped.

The postal service used to get huge amounts of revenue from delivering what we called "junk mail", catalogs and paper advertisements. But with most of that marketing switching to targeted online ads directing people to web sites, spending on junk mail has dried up to a small fraction of what it once was. (When is the last time you got a Harbor Freight catalog in the mail, Iused to get mailings from them several time a month, now it is all emails.)

So basically the postal service is operating at a loss and they need to evaluate a) who is still using their services and b) of the services still being used, which ones can absorb price increases without driving away an amount of business that would negate the extra revenue from the price increase. As someone who spent a good part of my career evaluating pricing plans and their overall net effect on total company revenue, my eye in this situation goes right to parcel delivery. And I realize that increasing parcel delivery rates really sucks for those of us who ship packages, especially for personal as opposed to business reasons, but it is probably the best option for the USPS from a business planning perspective.
Food for thought. Thanks Tom.

And Dave, I read a couple of years ago that the Amazon contract, even though greatly discounted, was still the most profitable part of all USPS deliveries.  Don't know if it's correct, as I don't remember the source. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:44:05 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2022, 07:39:09 PM »

Thanks, Dave. 

I just am frustrated with shipping in general.  My major complaint with USPS is that they have NEVER paid the insured amount on lost packages.  I fought them for 6 months to make good on a $2500.00 domestic claim.  It never happened.  It was a lost package and I was shuffled through the system to no avail.  That is the main reason I get pissed at price increases.

OTOH, they damage fewer packages than FedEx or UPS.

It was the cost of doing business.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2022, 07:45:42 PM »

Food for thought. Thanks Tom.

And Dave, I read a couple of years ago that the Amazon contract, even though greatly discounted, was still the most profitable part of all USPS deliveries.  Don't know if it's correct, as I don't remember the source.
So they say...

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/policy-news-views/its-time-to-revitalize-the-united-states-postal-service