Author Topic: Cold weather means Chili  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Cold weather means Chili
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 12:28:06 AM »
I don't know air fryers, but Instant Pots are always big sale items around Christmas.  Pick one up for $59 next Cyber Monday.  In the mean time the Crock pot cooker does just as good a job or better... but     slow.
Dude! It is the greatest thing since the discovery of fire!  Cook things that normally mean an oil bath, with just a spray of your oil of choice.

The best eggplant parm I have ever made was in an air fryer.  Do yourself a favor: get one!  Truly the best addition to our kitchen ever!  Air fryer fries are the best... ever!

I had a hunch you’d be saying that. It sure would be nice to have crispy skin on a chicken breast. All of the store-bought stuff never has enough crispiness to the skin. I did notice that the Instapot and similar devices have the pressure cooker feature. I’ve had a pressure cooker in the past, but haven’t used it much. But it might be nice to have it in the all in one device.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2022, 12:29:56 AM »
I don't know air fryers, but Instant Pots are always big sale items around Christmas.  Pick one up for $59 next Cyber Monday.  In the mean time the Crock pot cooker does just as good a job or better... but     slow.

Thanks, Memorial Day might be a good time.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2022, 10:08:57 PM »
Just finished a bowl couple of bowls. 
Man, i love my Instant Pot. Soooooo easy.   :thumb:
Yep, the InstaPot and our air fryer are our go to kitchen slaves since they found me.  Thank you daughters-of-mine  :thumb:

Air fryer eggplant parm is THE deal.  Too easy and healthy, too.

Dave,
I haven’t been able to find any of the peppers mentioned here. So I decided to buy the New Mexico peppers. What do those taste like? As to cooking them, the seeds are discarded and the skin is used?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 07:11:07 AM »
Most "New Mexico" peppers are dried hatch peppers (which can vary quite a bit).  They are low/medium heat.  As to seeds, the more you include the hotter the dish.  Skins can be bitter, so I always scrap the pulp and throw out the skins.  Dave will let us know if I'm off on any of this. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:49:19 AM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 10:04:09 AM »
Most "New Mexico" peppers are dried hatch peppers (which can vary quite a bit).  They are low/medium heat.  As to seeds, the more you include the hotter the dish.  Skins can be bitter, so I always scrap the pulp and throw out the skins.  Dave will let us know if I'm off on any of this.
Yes and no.

Hatch chili is available in mild, medium, hot, extra hot and super hot.  Extra hot and super hot will peel paint off of the wall.  :shock:  Also, the varieties differ.  There are Anaheims, Sandias and Big Jims.  Big Jims are very meaty and are the medium variety.  Those are what we eat the most.

Extra hot and super hot are in the Serrano and Thai Bird heat ranges: 10-20,000 - 50-100,000 scoville.  Much hotter than a jalapeño...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:07:00 AM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2022, 10:05:04 AM »

The peppers that I have seen most often are the California ones. Low to medium heat is a good start. Going over your recipe, is the flavor based in the boiled water from heating the chilies?
You mentioned scraping with butterknife to remove pulp, throw away skins. I don’t quite follow you… When you say removing the pulp, doesn’t that simply mean the seeds and the inside structure and all that remains then is the skins which you end up throwing away. So if that’s true, what is it of the chili that is left and actually kept? As you might be able to tell, I’ve only used Schilling packet mixes
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2022, 10:11:15 AM »
Yes and no.

Hatch chili is available in mild, medium, hot, extra hot and super hot.  Extra hot and super hot will peel paint off of the wall.  :shock:  Also, the varieties differ.  There are Anaheims, Sandias and Big Jims.  Big Jims are very meaty and are the medium variety.  Those are what we eat the most.

Extra hot and super hot are in the Serrano and Thai Bird heat ranges: 10-20,000 - 50-100,000 scoville.  Much hotter than a jalapeño...

Thanks for the info, Dave. I may try online shopping in the future as the selection in my town is pretty limited. I am staying on the low side of the Scoville range 🥵
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »
Even with the beans, looks like a good recipe.  But rice???  Surely you meant cornbread?  :thumb:

I'd be very happy with cornbread.  :drool:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »

The peppers that I have seen most often are the California ones. Low to medium heat is a good start. Going over your recipe, is the flavor based in the boiled water from heating the chilies?
You mentioned scraping with butterknife to remove pulp, throw away skins. I don’t quite follow you… When you say removing the pulp, doesn’t that simply mean the seeds and the inside structure and all that remains then is the skins which you end up throwing away. So if that’s true, what is it of the chili that is left and actually kept? As you might be able to tell, I’ve only used Schilling packet mixes
The water used to boil the dried pods has quite a bit of flavor, so I use it as stock.  Break off the stems and dump the loose seeds before boiling (or keep them for more capsaicin). When you boil the peppers, you get a gelatinous inner meat that I scrap out (forgot to mention to wear disposable gloves!). The gel is scraped from the tougher skin.   A dozen or more peppers will make about 3/4-1 cup of paste depending on size of the peppers.  I find that not using the skins make a chili that has less bitter flavor profiles.  I usually still add powdered Chili powder.  I bet if I used more dried chilis I could skip the extra powder, just add in some cumin and more garlic. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:04:58 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2022, 08:30:41 PM »

The water used to boil the dried pods has quite a bit of flavor, so I use it as stock.  Break off the stems and dump the loose seeds before boiling (or keep them for more capsaicin). When you boil the peppers, you get a gelatinous inner meat that I scrap out (forgot to mention to wear disposable gloves!). The gel is scraped from the tougher skin.   A dozen or more peppers will make about 3/4-1 cup of paste depending on size of the peppers.  I find that not using the skins make a chili that has less bitter flavor profiles.  I usually still add powdered Chili powder.  I bet if I used more dried chilis I could skip the extra powder, just add in some cumin and more garlic.

Thanks for all that. Very helpful! …. and I do have gloves. Will try to make this soon and hope it’s reasonably edible. The hazards of being a bachelor….
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »
OK, guys and gals(?) here you go for all things New Mexico chili:

https://chileaddict.com/

Yep, they ship and the owner is a very cool lady that has owned it forever!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2022, 01:05:46 AM »

Yep, they ship and the owner is a very cool lady that has owned it forever!   :thumb:

Thanks, Dave. Great site…have bookmarked it.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2022, 09:32:29 AM »

Cool store!  Years ago I had a pound of dried green chili powder that I bought from a roadside seller in the middle of the NM desert while traveling from here to there.  I used it for years before it finally lost it's flavor. 
I've never seen it in stores anywhere in Texas... so I'll be placing an order soon. 
Thanks, Dave. 

Update: These guys are competitive on pricing, but not on shipping.  $20 to ship 4 oz of powder that could go in a $6 USPS box. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 08:13:09 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

Cool store!  Years ago I had a pound of dried green chili powder that I bought from a roadside seller in the middle of the NM desert while traveling from here to there.  I used it for years before it finally lost it's flavor. 
I've never seen it in stores anywhere in Texas... so I'll be placing an order soon. 
Thanks, Dave. 

Update: These guys are competitive on pricing, but not on shipping.  $20 to ship 4 oz of powder that could go in a $6 USPS box.
FYI, the $6.00 USPS box is now $9.45.  I shipped two out before I came over to visit Danny.  USPS has been raising rates about every 2 months, but at least their service sucks.

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »
"USPS has been raising rates about every 2 months, but at least their service sucks."
Some things never change.
Besides, they're just keeping up with FedUp.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.