Author Topic: Keeping Your Knives Sharp  (Read 438 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Keeping Your Knives Sharp
« on: October 29, 2021, 03:03:06 PM »
I wrote ‘keeping’ in the title- there are options to getting a good sharp edge in the first place, but to KEEP them sharp, I love this- https://chefschoice.com/products/chefschoice-prontopro-diamond-hone-knife-sharpener-model-4643

I’m not good at using a steel- https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1vE0hQVXXXXaeXFXXq6xXFXXXE/Grinder-Oval-Diamond-Knife-Sharpening-Steel-Rod-Sharpener-43-5cm-With-ABS-Handle-Professional-Knife-Sharpener.jpg

I keep the 4643 next to my knife rack and use the final stage each time I pull out a knife. It keeps a keen edge for quite a while. A sharpening is necessary after a while, but I really like this for not a ton of money.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Keeping Your Knives Sharp
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:27:22 PM »
At least it has two constant angle options. But what's the grit size? 
On my cheaper knives, I use a Jewelstick with 600, 1000, and 1800 grit sides... and I can get a functionally sharp blade. 

On my better knives, I use stones starting at 1000 and going up to 15000 grit.  In between, I'll strop on leather with diamond spray.  Most of my Japanese knives are at 15*, one at 18*, and one 10* on one side and 13* on the other.   These little guys make it easy and are cheap. 
And on days when I just can't hold things steady, I use an EdgePro  Apex

Some obsess over cable risers, then there are those that sharpen knives. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:31:34 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 06:05:41 PM »
On my cheaper knives, I use a Jewelstick with 600, 1000, and 1800 grit sides... and I can get a functionally sharp blade. 

On my better knives, I use stones starting at 1000 and going up to 15000 grit.  In between, I'll strop on leather with diamond spray.  Most of my Japanese knives are at 15*, one at 18*, and one 10* on one side and 13* on the other.   These little guys make it easy and are cheap. 

Wow…. I had no idea 😳 My solution to a dull knife is to push down harder. I have a knife sharpener in a drawer somewhere and it just works ok… So maybe the grit isn’t appropriate
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 04:36:23 AM »

And I don’t have cable risers either! I figured if there was a knife aficionado here they’d bring up the angle angle… I really should try one of the Asian knives; some people swear by them and their different angle. I’m an older coot and haven’t replaced a knife in ages, though I do keep them sharp. If you have a recommendation for new one to try, let me know. Something for vegetables; I don’t do much in the way of meat cutting.
I haven’t checked, but I’m certain there are forums where cutlery is hashed out the way we do with audio.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »
I've always had a 2 sided stone to sharpen our knives. My daughter recently bought one of those easy sharpeners that you just pull the knife through. It works, sort of, but there's nothing like a nice sharp blade after using a real stone.

Also, we have a set of high quality Henkel's and one pretty decent Japanese Togiharu Santoku style knife. There's just no comparison. The Japanese knife is so so so much better. If you are interested  I strongly suggest looking at Korin, in NY City. They are the mecca for Japanese knives in NY and sell on-line and hold a great sale once a year. Perfect time to pick up a high quality knife. They also have stones and other associated items.

https://www.korin.com/

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »
If you have a recommendation for new one to try, let me know. Something for vegetables; I don’t do much in the way of meat cutting.
I haven’t checked, but I’m certain there are forums where cutlery is hashed out the way we do with audio.
A few years back one of our members (Bob in St. Louis) was curious about Japanese knives and had some cash burning a hole in his pocket.  I advised him to invest in sharpening gear first, learn to use it on his old knives, and then look for a deal on a hand made Japanese knife. 
I'd say the same to anyone.  Japanese knives perform at a different level than European, but at a cost.  The blades are more fragile.  A Henkel at 22* can handle a lot more abuse than the Japanese blades that are harder and thinner. 
You might look at Nakiri or Santoku style knives for vegetables.  Tojiro makes a good quality knife at an inexpensive price point.  But Japanese knives are like vinyl.  If you're going to step up from your old Dual 1219 you've got a learning curve.  If you are interested, send me a PM and we'll go into more depth. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 12:36:49 PM »
The Japanese know"sharp".  From my pull saws to my Damascus Steel Takayuki Santoku.  Sharp and hold an edge.

I love tools toys!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe