Author Topic: San Marzano Tomatoes  (Read 2760 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
San Marzano Tomatoes
« on: August 15, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
I’ve used Rollo’s sauce recipe now a few times. The 3rd one is on the stove simmering as I write. I’ve always made sauce, but I’d rank it last on what I do well in the kitchen- never very good. It’s a simple recipe, but I think using San Marzano tomatoes takes it over the top. They compensate for my kitchen shortcomings somewhat.
About 3.50-5.00 for a 28 ounce can, these tomatoes are great. I halve the recipe for just the wife and myself, so it’s inexpensive however you slice it.
I’m off the 99 cent cans. These are clearly better.
Listening to Radio Paradise World Mix as I cook. RP is great when you want to listen without curating.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 02:13:55 PM by James Edward »
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Folsom

Re: San Marzano Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 05:59:52 PM »
Any tomatoes that aren't your average shitty simulacra are a big step up for anything. There's that Italian brand that comes in boxes that can help make pasta etc a lot better.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »
Kismet.

I made eggplant parm tonight.  San Marzano's are the only way to do Italian anything!  Tonight I used Cento brand.  They are flavorful, easy to find and affordable.  I keep Cento tube tomato paste in the fridge...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
Listening to Radio Paradise World Mix as I cook. RP is great when you want to listen without curating.

Been listening to Radio Paradise for years.  Try streaming The Jazz Groove.  Fantastic super relaxing jazz music, no commercials, and superb SQ.       :thumb:
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »
Just be careful when shopping for San Marzanos. There are cans out there that say San Marzano and then in a tiny font underneath that say the words "Style". These are the same type of tomatoes but not grown in and imported from Italy. They are cheaper, but just not as good as the real thing.

I put some San Marzano plants in my garden this year and am getting a bumper crop. My wife made a pasta sauce with them last week that was out of this world. She just cut them into chunks and put them in a baking tray, sprinkled with a little olive oil and fresh ground black pepper. She then put them in the oven at 350 and when they looked she added some sliced garlic. I don't know how long she cooked them for, she just leaves them in until "they look done". The San Marzanos are more meaty and less juicier than other tomatoes, so if it looks to dry a splash of whit wine  takes care of that.

We scooped it right out of the tray put it on top of the pasta and added some fresh basil from the garden and some Locatelli  and chowed down. 

You can do it with any fresh tomatoes, but the San Marzanos put it over the top

Fairly quick and super easy meal.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
Just be careful when shopping for San Marzanos. There are cans out there that say San Marzano and then in a tiny font underneath that say the words "Style". These are the same type of tomatoes but not grown in and imported from Italy. They are cheaper, but just not as good as the real thing.

I put some San Marzano plants in my garden this year and am getting a bumper crop. My wife made a pasta sauce with them last week that was out of this world. She just cut them into chunks and put them in a baking tray, sprinkled with a little olive oil and fresh ground black pepper. She then put them in the oven at 350 and when they looked she added some sliced garlic. I don't know how long she cooked them for, she just leaves them in until "they look done". The San Marzanos are more meaty and less juicier than other tomatoes, so if it looks to dry a splash of whit wine  takes care of that.

We scooped it right out of the tray put it on top of the pasta and added some fresh basil from the garden and some Locatelli  and chowed down. 

Geez, this stuff sounds so tasty 🤤 I’d never heard of San Marzanos. The old type of tomatoes I’m familiar with is known as … cheap…  :lol:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:30:15 PM »

Yes- Caveat Emptor. There is even a ‘San Marzano’ brand of tomatoes- and they’ve been nowhere near Italy. Like with wine- Champagne is sparkling wine, but not all sparkling wine is Champagne. But there is a lot of great sparkling wine made outside of France. And there are probably some great tomatoes outside of San Marzano. I don’t know how to end this, so I’ll just say “Oh well.” As someone said in another thread- First World problem…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »
Tomatoes and peaches are the only things I won't buy at the grocery store- I grow my own, and I shudder to add up the cost and hours.  Usually I put a dozen quarts back for the winter, but not this year, so I'll be looking for these at the local supermarket.  I know they have the Cento brand, but I'll check out all the options.   :thumb:
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »

:thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »
Tomatoes and peaches are the only things I won't buy at the grocery store- I grow my own, and I shudder to add up the cost and hours.  Usually I put a dozen quarts back for the winter, but not this year, so I'll be looking for these at the local supermarket.  I know they have the Cento brand, but I'll check out all the options.   :thumb:
They really are good.  Plum tomatoes on steroids!

Offline James Edward

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 04:55:19 AM »
Yes- Cento is a good reliable brand and widely available. It’s what I used when starting this thread…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 06:03:53 AM »

Been listening to Radio Paradise for years.  Try streaming The Jazz Groove.  Fantastic super relaxing jazz music, no commercials, and superb SQ.       :thumb:
Thanks toobluvr, I do like it, and as you stated, the SQ is excellent. When I first saw your post, I thought it would be a clone of a ‘smooth jazz’ station we had in NY a couple of decades ago- CD 101.9. Thankfully it’s not- it’s a much deeper catalog.
Beware those that check it out this week- they are in the middle of a fund drive.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »
  The Can must have DOP certification on the label be the real deal San Marzano. However using fresh plum tomatoes is the best. Blanch tomato in boiling water until skin loosens remove to an ice bath. Remove skin then put in bowl and use your hands to break them up to size desired.
For the best Marinara use a cast iron pan . Heat well add EVOO and Garlic either minced or whole. Brown garlic. Add tomatoes and cook 15 minutes on med/Hi flame. DONE, enjoy !

charls
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
  The Can must have DOP certification on the label be the real deal San Marzano. However using fresh plum tomatoes is the best. Blanch tomato in boiling water until skin loosens remove to an ice bath. Remove skin then put in bowl and use your hands to break them up to size desired.
For the best Marinara use a cast iron pan . Heat well add EVOO and Garlic either minced or whole. Brown garlic. Add tomatoes and cook 15 minutes on med/Hi flame. DONE, enjoy !

charls

Pretty much what we did, except we did it in the oven. I'll have to try the cast iron pan. Might be a little quicker.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »

Thanks toobluvr, I do like it, and as you stated, the SQ is excellent. When I first saw your post, I thought it would be a clone of a ‘smooth jazz’ station we had in NY a couple of decades ago- CD 101.9. Thankfully it’s not- it’s a much deeper catalog.
Beware those that check it out this week- they are in the middle of a fund drive.

Yeah, not to be elitist but it's mostly serious "real" jazz that the purist would appreciate, so long as he's OK with smooth and mellow.  No hard-bop or blaring aggressive horns, which is fine by me.  On rare occasion it does veer off and flirts with schmaltzy cheezey pop covers that border on elevator music.....but never quite gets there.....thank God!!   And the other 99% is so good, small price to pay.   I know CD 101.9 well, I used to live on LI.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:37:50 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC