Author Topic: Super Nova, no not that one  (Read 7411 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Super Nova, no not that one
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 06:32:13 AM »
My need for the noise reduction may be OBE. The reason I needed it was that the power amp I was using seemed sensitive to noise (EMI/RFI).
However a deal fell in my lap for an SPL Performer s800. The SN specs on the amp are very good so I am taking delivery next week.

I hadn’t heard of this amp before and looked it up today. Any comments/thoughts you’d care to share?

The amp is class AB in a small chassis weighing only 28 lbs, 10x4x14. It puts out 285 wpc into 4 ohms. This is unusually small for such power output.
It uses proprietary input op amps that work on a full 120 voltage swing. The claim is great dynamic range and sweet mids and highs. The company builds in DC and thermal protection. The company makes studio equipment and I figured since they have a lot of experience on the recording side they have ears (maybe) Equipment is manufactured in Germany. Seems high quality.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:34:05 AM by jimbones »
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 08:51:25 AM »
My need for the noise reduction may be OBE. The reason I needed it was that the power amp I was using seemed sensitive to noise (EMI/RFI).
However a deal fell in my lap for an SPL Performer s800. The SN specs on the amp are very good so I am taking delivery next week.

I hadn’t heard of this amp before and looked it up today. Any comments/thoughts you’d care to share?

The amp is class AB in a small chassis weighing only 28 lbs, 10x4x14. It puts out 285 wpc into 4 ohms. This is unusually small for such power output.
It uses proprietary input op amps that work on a full 120 voltage swing. The claim is great dynamic range and sweet mids and highs. The company builds in DC and thermal protection. The company makes studio equipment and I figured since they have a lot of experience on the recording side they have ears (maybe) Equipment is manufactured in Germany. Seems high quality.

Maybe you could post your impressions when you have some hours on it. A friend of mine from Las Vegas audio club days has Crown amps and a reviewer on Part-Time Audiophile mentioned he uses a pro dac called the Prism. Had never heard of that either.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
I intend to do a write up, expecting it next week.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »

Ah, that’s great  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:08 AM »

With an input impedance of of 10K Ohms hope your preamp is less than 100Ohms output. Usually a minimum of 10x output. SN ratio is excellent as well as dynamic range and gain. Maybe hot at 26db you will find out.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 07:19:44 AM »
Charles the output impedance is very low as they are using a mosfet output stage to drive. I forget what the spec is but its something like 10 ohms. Yes the 10K input impedance is low. I am not having any issues there.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »
Charles the output impedance is very low as they are using a mosfet output stage to drive. I forget what the spec is but its something like 10 ohms. Yes the 10K input impedance is low. I am not having any issues there.

Cool. Enjoy !!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.