Author Topic: letttts talk EVOOOOOO  (Read 2345 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
letttts talk EVOOOOOO
« on: September 16, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
What's your favorite and why?
I'm using Colavita (first press) and find it light with a nice flavor.
Is there better? enlighten me.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: letttts talk EVOOOOOO
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 09:24:54 PM »
Don,

Olive oil is a many level culinary topic.  I use several different types:

Everyday run of the mill use?  Good old Kirkland extra virgin - cheap and neutral-ish.  I also sent this for making specialty oil like garlic, cinnamon, lemon, red pepper, etc because of cost and neutrality.  Don't get their other olive oil, though  :?

For dipping - Zoe

For finishing (drizzling) - Olio Verde

If I had to get just one to use for everything I'd recommend Nuñez de Prado.

Yes, I confess... I'm an olive oil snob   :thumb:

Lord, I love to cook!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:37:52 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline James Edward

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:06:56 AM »
My ‘house’ oil is Filippo Berio ‘Robusto’. It’s full flavored, with a bit of a peppery finish. It gives you a good hint of what to expect in an expensive EVOO, at a reasonable price. I like it also for it’s consistency from bottle to bottle. Like wine, olive oil can be better some years than others. It’s consistency also becomes boring, so I do try others and I’m glad you started this topic. I will be trying some of those mentioned.
One called ‘Segreto’ was recommended to me by Rollo, and it is excellent, but 30.00 a bottle near me. The problem, if you can call it that, is that once you open EVOO, the clock starts ticking- it only deteriorates. I stick to the smaller bottles for that reason.
‘Zoe’, as Dave mentioned, was great also, but the store that carried it near me closed. I see it available through Amazon, but I like to see the date on the label before I buy. Fresh is everything in oil.
What you should do is get some good bread, and one of the different oils mentioned here, and do a comparison dipping with your Colavita. I’m pretty sure the Colavita gets mentioned as a good reliable oil, so you’re off to a good start.
Happy hunting.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rpf

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »
For ordinary cooking, Filippo Berio EVOO.

As Dave stated, Zoe is good (and very reasonably priced) and Olio Verde is excellent (but expensive).

I like Lucini a lot: it's in between Zoe and Olio Verde in both price and quality. I also recently discovered Bono (organic) which is priced about the same as Zoe but which I enjoy much more. (And not just because it's from Sicily.  :rofl:)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:43:59 AM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
For ordinary cooking, Filippo Berio EVOO.

As Dave stated, Zoe is good (and very reasonably priced) and Olio Verde is excellent (but expensive).

I like Lucini a lot: it's in between Zoe and Olio Verde in both price and quality. I also recently discovered Bono (organic) which is priced about the same as Zoe but which I enjoy much more. (And not just because it's from Sicily.  :rofl:)
I'll have to try the Bono!

Cool.  New stuff  :drool:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
I’m heading to Uncle Giuseppe’s, a local chain on Long Island, armed with these names. They have a decent selection so hopefully I’ll make a score.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »
Interesting topic for a non-foodie, single guy like me. I think Rachel Ray came up with the term EVOO. My wife and I watched her show years ago. Talk about a rags to riches story …  :thumb:
As to the freshness of EVOO, I shudder when I think how long those bottles sat in the pantry.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »
We have a small store specializing in olive oil in Abilene.  They buy several bulk oils of the season (depends on which hemisphere).  I like one of the Australians, but my everyday is Ybarra from Spain. 

Think I'll try a bottle of Nunez de Prado.  I see it at Amazon for a bit more than the Ybarra
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 02:57:38 PM »
We have a small store specializing in olive oil in Abilene.  They buy several bulk oils of the season (depends on which hemisphere).  I like one of the Australians, but my everyday is Ybarra from Spain. 

Think I'll try a bottle of Nunez de Prado.  I see it at Amazon for a bit more than the Ybarra
Similarly, there was a store called Fairway here in NY, and they always had 8 or so oils from different regions, all of which they bought in bulk and bottled themselves. The freshness was always evident. That was all I ever needed. But they’re out of business now… They also had a slamming balsamic. Talk about synergy for a salad.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 03:02:55 PM »
Interesting topic for a non-foodie, single guy like me. I think Rachel Ray came up with the term EVOO. My wife and I watched her show years ago. Talk about a rags to riches story …  :thumb:
As to the freshness of EVOO, I shudder when I think how long those bottles sat in the pantry.
Get one of these bottles discussed and you’ll be a chick magnet. Just nonchalantly get the word out. Great stereo, olive oil- all you need is a good loaf of bread!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline dflee

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
So, is there a difference between Italian and Spanish or any of the other countries?
James: and a good bottle of wine eh.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 05:12:15 PM »
Get one of these bottles discussed and you’ll be a chick magnet. Just nonchalantly get the word out. Great stereo, olive oil- all you need is a good loaf of bread!

Hmmm, so there’s nothing sexier than silver hair and EVOO??
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »
There are great Greek, Aussie and domestic olive oils.  Olive oil is like wine:  different soils, climates, humidity and altitude drive the flavors.

Nick is right about good bread and olive oil  :thumb:  Yum!

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »
Here's one I use daily... need to shake before using since it's unfiltered, 100% Organic EVOO...

www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rpf

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

Semolina bread. And some Ricotta Salata.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+