Author Topic: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard  (Read 19249 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard
« on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
Considering a move to Class D as my back can't lift to heavy an amp anymore. I'm afraid that they still can not compete with a good Class AB. Your thoughts?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »
I’m certainly sympathetic to your situation :( The upgraded Mivera clone I have is pretty good and they go used for $650 - over $800. But, for me it’s lacking midrange warmth so I’m moving on. The DAC amps and Leo’s Orchard Audio Starkrimson  monos have received favorable comments. Charles raves about the Arion HS Monos, which are Class D and utilize a 6H30. It’s one of 3 amps I’m considering. The retail for those  is over $6k and that’s why I’m looking for a used pair....
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »
TPA3116 is pretty nice but isn't dynamic on all speakers.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
The Orchard Audio original BOSC amps. 

The new Starkrimson version has the high input impedance where the originals are low input impedance.  I drive them with a balanced connection so the low works well for my setup.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
I echo the Orchard Audio recommendations.    I also was able to listen to the Arion HS monos - albeit maybe 5-6 years ago - and they were amazing and definitely lived up to Charles' raves.   Check arionaudio.com

Charles, I now see the Mike K (Arion) has a line of speakers.   May have to take a listen at some point.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
Thanks for the idea's I will research them. I should have stated my budget at roughly 3500-4k (used is OK)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rodge827

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 04:44:18 PM »
The Digital Amplifier Company 2 Cherry is exceptional. I have owned a few of the DAC amps and the 2 Cherry is in a class of its own. Very quiet, detailed, exceptional bass and very smooth sounding. Tommy really out did himself with this amp. I sold it since I found a great deal on 300b monos I’ve wanted for a long time. Wish I didn’t need to sell the 2 Cherry it gave the 300b monos a serious run.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
Alexander Hamilton

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
What do you, listen for in, want out of, your system?
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
  The Arion HS 500 hybrid. 500W into 8 Ohm 1000W into 4 Ohm. Uses a 6H30 input tube. Military grade power supply used in submarines so it is VERY quiet. I used the m for the Pipedreams if you remember. Not dry, thin , bright or hard sounding.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 02:20:13 PM »

Listen to Jazz and Rock, not much classical. I like a full weighty midrange. Not a dry thin sound. My current amp is awesome but someday I will replace it. Not urgent but I like to understand the Class D technology and what it has to offer. BTW, I don't need stupid power, I am using a 130 watt amp now (Wells Innamorata). I was also wondering if Class D watts are the same as Class AB watts. No Joke, I have some experience with class D amps that claim 500wpc and I have to crank the volume to get anything out of it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:22:36 PM by jimbones »

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »

...... No Joke, I have some experience with class D amps that claim 500wpc and I have to crank the volume to get anything out of it.

That's not necessarily a power shortfall.

It most likely means the amp is hard to drive (ie: it has a very high input sensitivity).  For example, the amp may be able to deliver 1000wpc when driven to full output, but if it takes say 4 volts input to get it to full output, you will never be able to use all its potential horsepower.  Since most sources only output 2 volts max, the amp will "feel" like it lacks power because only a fraction of its rated power is being produced.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:38:46 PM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 03:40:51 PM »

...... No Joke, I have some experience with class D amps that claim 500wpc and I have to crank the volume to get anything out of it.

That's not necessarily a power shortfall.

I understand but it seems that was the case with multiple amps I tried  in the past.

It most likely means the amp is hard to drive (ie: it has a very high input sensitivity).  For example, the amp may be able to deliver 1000wpc when driven to full output, but if it takes say 4 volts input to get it to full output, you will never be able to use all its potential horsepower.  Since most sources only output 2 volts max, the amp will "feel" like it lacks power because only a fraction of its rated power is being produced.

Offline Mark Muse

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 07:02:06 AM »
I'm currently using a LSA GaN 350 (Bricasti M3 > ARC Ref 6 SE > LSA > Fyne F1-8). I'm quite happy with it. Nothing thin or dry about it. Smooth, detailed, slightly warm. And the price is right. Previous amp was a pair of Bel Canto REF600M mono blocks. These were pretty good, but a little dark, not as smooth, and less dimensional.
Bricasti M3 > Rogue RP-7 > Jeff Rowland 535 monos > KEF Reference 1

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 07:22:47 AM »
Hi Mark,

I see it’s your first post. Welcome to AN.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »
Jim you need to hear the LSA Warp-1. $1200 retail. I am not a dealer. I have one come over one day. A little killer.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.