Author Topic: I need smal monitor advice  (Read 16803 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I need smal monitor advice
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
I use Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 ($350/pair) in my HT and love'm.  Very musical, image like crazy, and huge content value (if you discount the cheap vinyl cabinet covering).  The new versions should be better and can be had in fancier cabinets.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
Another vote for 520's.. They are front ported so no problem against a wall.  I suggested them to a friend paired with a midrange Onkyo, very nice sound alone but great when he added a sub.  If he ever gets into hifi, he's got a good starter speaker.  

BTW, later Onkyo receivers are not like the ones in the 90's.  They've got a warmer house sound now.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

djdube525

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 11:33:47 AM »
I have a pair of NHT Super One's in a second system that I really like. (These aren't mine, but they're the same model speaker.  BTW-They do come with grill cloths.)

I actually have a super series setup in my HT (The ones fit the bill for my surrounds)... not fancy by any means... but they fit the bill for the time being.

Dave

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
Another pair of Usher 520 showed up.  They are listed as brand new for 325

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1293484911&/Usher-Audio-S-520-Brand-New-in

Offline JLM

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
Hey HTDoc, thanks for the heads up regarding the TBI monitors.  I've seen them around for a couple of years now, but had only found "professional" reviews.  They are roughly 5 inch cubes and would be perfect in a dorm room or small office.

(The TBI folks came out years ago with the Magellan subs, those amazingly tiny/fast subs that supposedly can be placed anywhere.)

Offline laserman

• Seeking Help
  • Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
Hey Mike,

If your friend does get turned on by the MBI speakers, you may want to check out this soon to be released 3" driver based speaker -

Chase Home Theater

Lou
A musically satisfying system is 50% the components and 50% you.  Until you have a handle on your own "inner sensibilities to sound and music," you are only dealing with half of the equation.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
I showed him the Boston a 40's which he said look good, but I will show him the Ushers as well, they might be great. I will let him decide , it is his money.
I have the Boston A 70's which can be great, most of these older lesser hifi speakers where usually played with cheaper gear, when paired with good electronics and source, man they really shine!!!

I could set up the A 70's at my place and make peoples jaws drop....really!! Not because they sound great for cheap college dorm speakers ..but because they really can sound great!!

gotta love this hobby when things click
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

drews_hifi

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »
Tried posting before, but lost wireless when i hit submit, so here's another version:

Best reasonable priced monitors:  Paradigm Ref 20s.  Even 10yrs ago, they were damn good and were my main spkrs for about a year.  Great bass for their size, clean mids, maybe a bit tipped up on top.  They played loud, too.

My fav monitors all time were the Levinson Red Rose 3's.  There was a Dynaudio woof and a ribbon tweeter (Raven i think).  They blew me away at the NY show in 2001.  Never seen a pair for sale though.