Author Topic: Caps  (Read 14562 times)

musicfile

Re: Caps
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
I used 1uF Platinums on the input and my original output caps were 5uF, so I opted for the 6.8uF OIMP's (although I doubt if there would have been any difference using the 4.7's).

Remember that smaller coupling caps will reduce bass output, depending on the circuit. I don't think you can be wrong with something larger, but you can be wrong with something smaller.

Sorry you lost me if the orginal input /output coupling caps is originally .22uf if I go with the OIMP I should be look at 1uf (smallest value they come in)
Also size is a consideration How big are these ...would you know if the OIMP are bigger then the Mundorf silver and oil cap (any bigger won't fit )

Did you go with the Sonicap as it's cheaper then the Rel Teflon ..sorry to many questions ..if you like pm offline

Sorry to derail the original purpose of this post
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:54:45 PM by musicfile »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
No problem musicfile - good questions!!!

For coupling caps, bigger is technically better, because it allows lower frequencies to pass, it does not filter them out. There is a formula that uses (I think:) impedance of source and load and capacitance to determine the filtering freq. of a cap. In a filter application the specified size must be adhered to or else the filter will not perform as intended. Of course max voltage spec is important, especially in tube applications.

So the 1uF will replace your .22 for coupling as long as same or higher voltage rating. Physical size has no bearing, as long as it fits, and stays away from hot parts, etc.
Mundorf sizes: http://www.soniccraft.com/products/capacitors/film.htm
VCap sizes: http://www.v-cap.com/

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 03:38:12 AM »
What he said.
 :thumb:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

musicfile

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 08:39:12 AM »
Has anyone tried the Dynamicaps as couplers in the input positon
paired with Jupiters in the output
I wonder if this a good paring

The dynamicap is supposed to be a very neutral and balanced cap
The Jupiters should add a bit of tone to the sound

What do you guys think ? 
Any reason why this pairing would not work together

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:54 AM »
  Hearing reports that the new V-cap copper has all the clarity of the original tinfoil design with more body, soul and tone baby tone.  Live as live can be, Break -in time has been reduced as well. Now at $125 each for a .1 is a bit tough to swallow. However that copper tone over the original is silly good. I use the tin foil V-Cap as coupling caps  in my Cyber 211 amps. When the amp was working the V-caps just made the Consonance a different amp. Much better all around over the [ fake] Auri caps which came as stock.
   Until I try them myself only then will I be able to discern a difference. However my source of info is very much respected by myself and the DIY community. On the short list.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »
 Hearing reports that the new V-cap copper has all the clarity of the original tinfoil design with more body, soul and tone baby tone.  Live as live can be, Break -in time has been reduced as well. Now at $125 each for a .1 is a bit tough to swallow. However that copper tone over the original is silly good. I use the tin foil V-Cap as coupling caps  in my Cyber 211 amps. When the amp was working the V-caps just made the Consonance a different amp. Much better all around over the [ fake] Auri caps which came as stock.
   Until I try them myself only then will I be able to discern a difference. However my source of info is very much respected by myself and the DIY community. On the short list.

charles

Excuse my ignorance on such matters, but how many of these caps do you need to update an amp. Although $125 per cap is a lot, if you only need one per side  (or per monoblock) it would seem to me to be a bargain to get the kind of improvement that you are talking about for only $250. Now, if you end up needing 6 or 8 per channel then we are talking a whole other ball game.

Also when I looked on their web site all I saw them talking about is using these caps in tube amps.  DO these mods apply to SS amps as well?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:05:51 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
Excuse my ignorance on such matters, but how many of these caps do you need to update an amp. Although $125 per cap is a lot, if you only need one per side  (or per monoblock) it would seem to me to be a bargain to get the kind of improvement that you are talking about for only $250. Now, if you end up needing 6 or 8 per channel then we are talking a whole other ball game.

Also when I looked on their web site all I saw them talking about is using these caps in tube amps.  DO these mods apply to SS amps as well?

It really depends on the amp. The Consonance Cyber amps use two coupling caps per channel, so 4 would be needed. My Atma-Sphere's use two per amp as well. I recently put some of the ModWright Teflon/copper foil in the M60's and am very happy with the results. Aside from the V-Cap these are the only Teflon/copper foil that I know of. I have not tried the new V-Cap Teflon/copper but I'm delighted with the MW caps and they are about 1/3 the cost at $40 each. The biggest problem is they are only available in 3 values, so unless one of those matches your needs, no dice. The other downside is they are physically large but so are the V-Caps.

As for SS amps, some have coupling caps, some are direct coupled. You would have to examine the circuit to know for sure.

musicfile

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
Mike
Can you describe the sound of the modright caps and did you try out both types

Thanks
Pat
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:26:04 PM by musicfile »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »
I would wager they are from the same manufacturer.
How many manufacturers out there make teflon caps!

I spoke to Dan the other day and he said he does not make teflon and copper caps. In fact he said the teflon copper combo is not very good sounding!  Strange of him to say this to me as I thought I read on his website that he makes(sells) copper teflon caps. I figured I must have misread the website, I never went back and checked if I made a mistake, but it seems he does sell teflon copper caps and at a big discount to the vcaps!!  Win win for us methinks.

Confusing really...but I use my own ears to judge what sounds right, I am still burning in my copper vcaps right now, and the verdict is still undecided. My new input inboard is being built with NO caps! So I may jump off the cap merrygoround soon.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

mgalusha

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
Can you describe the sound of the modright caps and did you try out both types

Pat,

I did not try both, I used the ModWright caps to replace the AudioCap teflon that came in the amps. What I heard was more warmth and richness but with better detail/focus/resolution. Soundstage depth was improved as was the bass, a little tighter and better defined.

mike

mgalusha

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
I would wager they are from the same manufacturer.
How many manufacturers out there make teflon caps!
RTI makes most of them, supposedly the V-Caps are not made by RTI.

I spoke to Dan the other day and he said he does not make teflon and copper caps. In fact he said the teflon copper combo is not very good sounding!  Strange of him to say this to me as I thought I read on his website that he makes(sells) copper teflon caps. I figured I must have misread the website, I never went back and checked if I made a mistake, but it seems he does sell teflon copper caps and at a big discount to the vcaps!!  Win win for us methinks.

Well the MW web site says the following:

" T Series Truth Capacitors

These are THE BEST capacitors that we know of for use in signal coupling and bypass as well as power supply bypass.

We recommend the T Series Truth Capacitors for the most demanding applications where there must be no compromise.

They offer the cleanest, most neutral sound for signal coupling, analog filters and bypass of large value M series capacitors as well as electrolytics.

The T Series Truth Capacitors are made with the highest grade of ultra-pure Teflon film and copper foil.

You will find that we use our M and T Series Truth Capacitors exclusively in our 'Signature Edition' products."

Pretty much the opposite of what you posted. No idea why but I'm happy with how they work in my amps. :)

mike