Author Topic: A Truly Neutral Component Will Have Synergy With ANY System  (Read 9325 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: A Truly Neutral Component Will Have Synergy With ANY System
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
  Hey Dave I still have a pair of Omega speakers. Mine roll off about 50 Hz and 17K  Hz how about yours ?
   Accurate speaker for tonality and harmonic evaluation. Sound stage and imaging a tough act though. Kinda miniature width and height wise compared to my Pipedreams and Lenehan speakers
   For future conversations we need a definition of terms. Neutrality is a linear sound. Meaning no obvious exaggeration of any frequency. Accuracy lends towards distortion level. Detail means hearing all available info on source.
    Then we have lean, dry and flat. For proper sound staging a continuous sound as opposed to layering. Imaging meaning a more 3D like presentation not flat.
     Body and weight better described as gestalt or just brute force. Presence meaning that live feeling of a live recording where the air appears alive.
     OK the 64,000 dollar question. Dave how do you determine accuracy ? How and what do you measure  ? Distortion ?speed of propagation ? Impedance ? capacitance ? Inductance ? Or do you just listen on your system ? Beta testers ?

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
Hi Charles, yes I agree... as far as accuracy there are 2 things I look for. One is an absence of problems such as "lean, dry and flat", or on the other end warm, slow and bloated. Tone and harmonics should come across as natural, not stripped down or augmented. Other issues like sibilance being enhanced, harshness, edginess or graininess need to be absent. Then there is detail, the more detail I can make out without problems the better and the more accurate the cable is.

I also find beta testers very helpful. The reaction to cables so far follows a bell curve. With a less accurate cable I get a wider distribution of reactions and far more outliers where the synergy is either very good or very poor. With a more accurate cable I get a far more consistent reaction to the cable, which was a main motivation for this thread. It seems like the more accurate cable is able to achieve "synergy" with pretty much any system while the less accurate cable is far more hit and miss.

Charles, also if you have not upgraded your Omegas to the latest drivers you should do so, they are inexpensive and the latest ones are absolutely amazing, the performance equals anything I have heard, including high $ items like Voxativ and Feastrex. The highs extend to 20k instead of 17-18k and the midrange bump has been tamed, they are much more neutral than they were with the old hemp drivers. Soundstage is greatly affected by equipment with these speakers and I have no problem getting the speakers to disappear and the soundstage to extend past the physical borders of the room if it's on the recording. They are as close to point source as you are going to get and I have not experienced better soundstaging/imaging with the exception of the all-TAD system at this years RMAF, which did pretty much everything better than anyone else, imo.

DaveC

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Bump!

This phenomenon is very interesting to me, and I think it is worth understanding more. We all have experienced these kinds of synergy issues with gear, but I have also heard of some gear that seems to have no issues with synergy no matter what system it is used in...

Does anyone have any examples of gear that seems to work well in every system it has been tried in?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:08 AM »
   Yes. Mostly sources like TT or CDP. The Arion HS500 monoblocks being an exception to that. The CAT preamp is another.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.