Author Topic: Building a Room for a Particular Speaker  (Read 10138 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Building a Room for a Particular Speaker
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »
    How does one go about doing that ? What specs of speaker are needed ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Building a Room for a Particular Speaker
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Don't think you should need to Charles.  Just need to match the volume to the speaker output.  Don't wanna run ESL57's in a 1000 cubic foot space and don't want to run Infinity IRS in  a 10x12 space.  Just set the speakers and seating in the room in the right places and treat accordingly - diffusion behind dipoles/bipoles, not behind monopoles, etc.
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »
  Thanks Brian. That sounds just too simple. Are you saying that a room build around proper ratios [ Say Cardas as an example] is all one needs ? Then treat accordingly ? What I'm getting at is say I own single driver speakers with built in subs. We then could not optimize the room size or shape according to the dispertion characteristics of that speaker ?

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 12:18:14 PM »
One of the concerns with rooms is that in America we tend to build rooms with dimensions that are multiples of 4 feet, the typical size of building materials available.  That is good economically, but not necessarily so when it comes to sonics.  Take a typical medium room size:  16' L x 12' W x 8'.  I've come across a lot of these here in Albuquerque.  This gives big bumps in room response at 70Hz, 84Hz, 100hz and 116Hz which are problematic in that the 70Hz and 84 Hz lie in "the mud" factor in low frequency response.  You know, that Boom Box kind of LF.  The 100Hz and 116Hz bumps make bass sound thick and mask a lot of low frequency articulation.

Go here to find a great calculator that you can play with and learn a lot:

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=16&w=12&h=8&ft=true&r60=0.6

What is handy about this calculator is the ability to hear what problems are generated by convergent modes.  It is a video game for audio nerds like us.

I plugged in the dimensions listed above.  By varying the dimensions 1' at a time you can see and hear the difference that say a false wall can give.

Also, check out 'Tools' for a quick education in acoustic room theory.

Here is a site that deals with how to trap using Helmhotz resonators to suck out the really nasty room modes. 

http://web.archive.org/web/20010803052829/www.headphone.com/EditorialHeadroom/RoomTubes.asp

This has been around for years and is a great resource.

Small changes in room dimensions can reap huge gains in room response and room gain.   :thumb:

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 12:45:19 PM »
F Alton Everest has a very good book on building rooms for audio.  Room construction helps as well.

Ended up with a 10'hx16'wx25.2'd room with basically STC83 walls and 6" slab floor.  Dead quiet and easy to hear details.   :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
  Great responses thank you.

charles

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:56:34 PM »
F Alton Everest has a very good book on building rooms for audio.  Room construction helps as well.

Ended up with a 10'hx16'wx25.2'd room with basically STC83 walls and 6" slab floor.  Dead quiet and easy to hear details.   :D
Rich, what did you do for doors?
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 02:03:45 AM »
Dave,
Just a solid wood door.  It is in the basement and not a noisy area to start.

Biggest thing was the hard fiberglass (like OC703 ducts.  No air noise from HVAC. 

None of my measurement mics are quiet enough to measure the background noise level in the room with the door closed. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
  But but :) with a DSP speaker is room other than construction type really matter as much ??

charles

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
You need to get the room acoustics correct first, then you can use DSP correction.  That is the best method I have found.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
Bottom line is that the room is the single most important interconnect in the entire system.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 05:54:44 AM »
Bottom line is that the room is the single most important interconnect in the entire system.

Amen Brother.

charles