Electro Stimulation Ward > Signals and Noise

Supra or Anticables... Feeling the Itch

<< < (2/2)

James Edward:
Triode is way out of my budget due to the lengths I need.

toobluvr:
I have Supra Rondo 2 x 2.5 (stranded, tin plating) and various model Morrow (solid core) speaker cables.  The Supra is full and pleasant but I find it veiled and lacking in speed, presence and precision compared to the Morrow.  When using Supra I find myself leaning in and craving the detail that I know is there, but not being revealed.  Very smooth and easy to listen to, though.  I would say it might be a good match for leanish and hyper-detailed / anyalytical systems.  Not how my rig is voiced so not the best match for me.

toobluvr:
PS:  FWIW, years ago I owned the original version of Anti-Cables SC.  Good clarity and speed but when listening for awhile I found it a bit insistent and fatiguing in the upper mids and treble.  But I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing, so YMMV.

No idea how the current A-C versions stack up.

Barry (NJ):
James, I'll second tooblover's thoughts on stranded vs. solid cables, and also that in general, cabling is very system dependent. I do believe that cables can alter the sound of a system, but don't believe a more expensive cable is necessarily a "better sounding" cable. The solid wire I use is available in a 50' length for under $20. Will it sound vastly different than your current Anti-Cables solid wire? Can't say, but it may, and for $20 could be worth the experiment(?)

P.I.:
Cheap experiment. All you have to do is spend a few bucks and be patient.

Break in takes time.  A week or so.

Buy CAT5 plenum rated Ethernet cable.

Most important:  strip off the crappy PVC jacket.

Bundle one run to the + and another to the negative of your speakers.  Twist the individual wire bundles at 1 - 2 turns per foot.

Give these cables at least a week to burn in.

Report back.

Just sayin’...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version