Author Topic: LIVE vs. STUDIO Recordings  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: LIVE vs. STUDIO Recordings
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
Well... On the flip-side, because our systems are more revealing, we can more readily hear the compression and other distortions of poorly recorded music. Much of what I here on YouTube sounds good because so much is missing. There is no hiss, no sibilance, none of the grittiness I often here on my CDs, but also missing is the depth and breadth of sound-stage.... So pluses and minuses :wink:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Well... On the flip-side, because our systems are more revealing, we can more readily hear the compression and other distortions of poorly recorded music. Much of what I here on YouTube sounds good because so much is missing. There is no hiss, no sibilance, none of the grittiness I often here on my CDs, but also missing is the depth and breadth of sound-stage.... So pluses and minuses :wink:

That is interesting, maybe selection, genre differences? Is the problem also occurring with the selections
from my link 'Sharing Top Notch Videos and Recordings'?

In general I do like from CDs etc better if they are recorded well. However, most of my CDs sound worse
than the best YouTube selections I have found.

If I count my best LPs, they sound best of all. However, I also have many LPs that sound quite poor.

cheers
steve

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:56:54 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 03:25:53 PM »
That is interesting, maybe selection, genre differences? Is the problem also occurring with the selections

Well, to be honest, I don't have a browser or computer hooked up to my system, and only tried a few of those on my PC. I do have a Roku player connected to the HT portion of my system, so I can play YouTube videos, but I can't just click a link. So I'd have to watch/listen to them on my PC, then go to my Roku and look through my YouTube history to find them again. I'll give it a shot, but it's a bunch of work, and I won't have a direct comparison to a CD of the recording. I based my earlier thought on comparisons I've done between the same recording from CD and YouTube sources :wink:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 09:29:44 PM »

Well, to be honest, I don't have a browser or computer hooked up to my system, and only tried a few of those on my PC. I do have a Roku player connected to the HT portion of my system, so I can play YouTube videos, but I can't just click a link. So I'd have to watch/listen to them on my PC, then go to my Roku and look through my YouTube history to find them again. I'll give it a shot, but it's a bunch of work, and I won't have a direct comparison to a CD of the recording. I based my earlier thought on comparisons I've done between the same recording from CD and YouTube sources :wink:

Thanks for the info Barry. Much appreciated. Please don't spend a lot of time.

Yes, comparing the same, exact sources, I agree.

One different and interesting example I found is between LP and CD/Youtube of Green Back Dollar by
Kingston Trio, same cover, Vol 2.

The LP has lots and lots of inner detail, huge soundstage, great depth, width. On CD, and YouTube,
the vast majority of the inner detail, depth, soundstage is just gone. Most of the problem is the
electronics that was used for the conversion/mixing, not the mixing itself.

cheers
steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers