Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Synergy

(1/4) > >>

rollo:
We all have experienced a match made in heaven between certain components or speakers and Amp. What have you found to work well together? Be it a cable and CDP or Amp and speaker or Amp and Pre or tubes and component, etc. A sticky for such combos maybe?

rollo

Carlman:
Not a bad idea, Rollo... If you want to take the lead, and take a stab at ones you've heard, go for it...

A couple of years ago I was determined to find the science of synergy...
I focused on this question:  What about this particular amp, speaker cable, and speaker makes synergy?
I then started looking at the wire's properties, the amps properties and the load presented by the speakers... Wow, what an undertaking I'd gotten myself into.  It's over my head because I simply don't have the background in electronics to undetake it.  Plus, with my cursory knowledge, some combos defied my slightly-educated predictions... So, I went back to trial and error... so crude, I thought... But now that I hear the room so much in other systems, I realize there's more to synergy than gear.

So, I'd be interested in seeing a list of synergistic systems... But please be sure to include the room attributes (size and treatments) when listing synergistic matches.

Good luck.

-Carl

richidoo:
Timely topic especially with the G2G thread talking about Timepieces and preferred amps. One assumes most amps will work "at least OK," but as you get into the high end, slight mismatch can really have a big effect.

A super combination is Acoustic Zen Adagio with Response Audio 100wpc monoblocks, even in hotel room. Awesome.

Another great combo was Quad 2805 with Cayin 70 watt Kt-88 integrated. In a smallish well damped room. Stunning clarity, tone and weight that penetrates right through my body.

shep:
Great idea! My first experience of this was hearing Maggies with Audio Research (transistors). I broke down and bought them on the spot! Nothing else worked as well on the Maggies afterwards. it made no sense because looking back, the AR amps were nothing special, even for the time. My recent example is more telling and I'm much better "informed"; the TL speakers I own, single core spkr wire, and the T-amp. My Marantz cdp is no slouch either. I sometimes wonder though if the experience of synergy isn't more about a listening moment than the equipt. mating. But, if it's constantly repeatable then yes, the sum of the bits becomes greater than their individual qualities. I doubt if anyone well ever figure this out and it's probably just as well!

rollo:
Well to start off I'll begin with;
        1. Maggies and Audio Research.  Tara Cables
        2. Classe DR25 [ older Classe ] and B&W. MIT cables
        3. McIntosh and B&W.
        4. Snell and Sonic Frontiers. MIT cables
        5. Pipedreams and VAC. Omega Micro active
        6. Vanderstien 5A and Carey 805. Kimber cables
        7. Sonus Faber and Krell KSA 100. Straight Wire cables
        8. Omega and Consonance Cyber 211. Discovery cables
        9. Analysis and Joule Electra. Radio Shack Homemade. 3 legs braided like a Womans hair braid.
       10. Paradigm and VTL. Monster cable
       11. ZU and Art Diavolo. Zu cables

Well its a start. The room is key , however unless you live in a shoe box these combos should prove very well in any room.

rollo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version