Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Listening Session - RWA Signature 70s and Yamamoto A-08s

(1/6) > >>

miklorsmith:
I had an in-home session yesterday with four other experienced audiophiles at my house.  We spent about 4 hours with the following system:  Modwright Music Hall CDP as transport to a TacT 2.2XP.  Bass was to a Crown K2 on the rear subwoofer array on my Zu Definition Pros and the mains ran digital-out from the TacT to a Lessloss 2004 DAC.  We split time between the Red Wine amps, which are about 50 wpc into the main array's 6 ohm load, and a Yamamoto A-08s, which produces about 2 watts.

The main array was running down to 65 hz, where the subwoofers picked up.  The power difference between the amps was not a factor, as we played pretty loudly the whole time.  I didn't break out my SPL meter to get numbers though.  When I first switched from the battery-powered Tripath RWA amps to the 45 SET Yamamoto, I also switched the TacT correction.  It seemed like the Yammie was running out of gas at the boisterous volumes and heavy basslines we were playing.  I checked the XO settings and saw the Yamamoto was running down to 40 hz instead of the intended 65 hz.  After correcting that, the little SET was comfortable for the rest of the session.

As far as impressions, I'm going to send a link to this thread to the fellows that were there and invite their impressions.  I'll weigh in a little later on . . .

alwayslearning:
I'm one of the folks who listened in on this session.  I'll confine my remarks to differences I heard in the presentation of the Red Wine Audio Signature 70s and the Yamamoto.  Keeping in mind that this is the first time I've heard the RWA 70s and that I really only listened to one track (Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, first movement) that I was intimately familiar with on both amps (and at differing volume levels, thus making the comparison more difficult), I liked both amps but clearly preferred the Yammie.  Where the RWA was highly resolving to the point where I was a little distracted by some background noise on the recording (players making noise on stage), the Yammie had a more liquid, free-flowing sound that let me relax into the music.  Timbres seemed more true to life with the tube amp as well.  Transients were sharper with the RWA, but I did not feel these were shortchanged with the tube amp.  The deep bass performance was a non-issue, since the Zu Definitions were separately powered at the lowest frequencies.  However, both amps did well in the power zone of low to medium bass output.  Bottom line is that both amps made music.  For what its worth, I generally prefer tubes to solid state and personally own Shindo electronics.

mantis:
I was also in on the session.  The differences in presentation between the Yamamoto and the Red Wine were not subtle.  My comparisons are with Cowboy Junkies, Whites Off Earth Now track "Baby Please Don't Go".  With the RW the guitar work by Michael was more forward and crisp sounding while Margo was a little further back in presentation and less warm.  The Yamamoto had more of a laidback sound with the guitar and Margo was a bit more even in the soundstage  and definitely more natural sounding and her voice had a beautiful tonal quality to it.  Don't get me wrong -- both sound great!   As I recall there was more noticeable recording room ambiance present with the RW so if you are a detail person you may prefer the Red Wine but again the Yamamoto was itself very detailed but warmer.   Overall I prefered the Yamamoto to the RW primarily because of the natural emotional quality.  I could see myself becoming more connected to the music for longer if I lived with the Yamamoto  (only 2 watts though so very efficient speakers are needed).  A very enjoyable afternoon with great gear and cool audioheads.

Nate:
Sorry for my late reply......

As with the other two audioheads I really liked the Yamamoto, though in general I tend to prefer a more euphonic sound.  This was my first experience with RWA amps and wow!!  They are mucho silent!  It had superb blackness and tons of detail while maintaining a fairly musical presentation.  
The yamamoto was liquid and supple while still keeping up with the subs.   As with the RWA, I felt the yammy was plenty detailed for me.  On the cuts that I heard I felt the Yammy was a much better fit with the rest of the equipment.  My system has  a warm and lush MC cart, a fairly neutral phonostage, preamp, and amp all paired with my very revealing and neutral speakers.  Everything is in fairly good balance for my taste.  The Yamamoto fit more into this warm detailed taste for me.  

As for the Def-Pros I felt that in general the tonal balance from the front drivers to rear was quite seamless.  Next time, I would really like to see the x-over points and the room correction profile on the Tact.  As the afternoon rolled on I was really starting to get into the Zu sound and appreciate the flat frequency response and wide soundstage.  Of course memory is failing but I seem to remember more top end extension and air when I heard the Zu speakers last year at CES ’06….  With loudspeakers I always prefer an error of omission rather than addition.  What the Defs did was really great, and for me it really isn’t too important if they have extension out to oblivion.  Of course, my ears could have been messed up in some way :?    Oh, and get ready because next time I'm bringing some pipe organ music!!!!

Nate

lonewolfny42:
Interesting.....thanks for posting your comments.... :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version