Systemic Development > Tubes

Question regarding 6J5 and 6SN7 tube usage

(1/3) > >>

Response Audio:
Greetings and Happy 4th.
I am building a custom amplifier for my own personal use. It is design with one 6J5 per channel. My question is about installing a 6SN7 into these positions. I have heard of a few different techniques on what to do with the unused side of the 6SN7 when used in a 6J5 socket.
For those who have done this, what have you done with the unused side. I know most of you will simply say, “Just stick with the 6J5” but I want to experiment with it both ways and try different tubes.
What is your preferred method of dealing with the unused half of a 6SN7.

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Response Audio on July 04, 2022, 10:00:19 AM ---Greetings and Happy 4th.
I am building a custom amplifier for my own personal use. It is design with one 6J5 per channel. My question is about installing a 6SN7 into these positions. I have heard of a few different techniques on what to do with the unused side of the 6SN7 when used in a 6J5 socket.
For those who have done this, what have you done with the unused side. I know most of you will simply say, “Just stick with the 6J5” but I want to experiment with it both ways and try different tubes.

--- End quote ---
Wire one channel using the first section and the other channel using the second section.  That way you can get ~ twice the life out of a matched pair of 6SN7.  One triode dies, swap the tubes.

Response Audio:
Thanks Dave. While I will primarily be using 6J5’s, that is the plan for the 6SN7.
I’m am just wondering what others that do this do with the unused half of the triode that is not in the circuit. Some will ground the unused half while other simply leave them alone.
I know leaving the other half alone can still effect the unused half of the triode.

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Response Audio on July 05, 2022, 06:40:13 AM ---Thanks Dave. While I will primarily be using 6J5’s, that is the plan for the 6SN7.
I’m am just wondering what others that do this do with the unused half of the triode that is not in the circuit. Some will ground the unused half while other simply leave them alone.
I know leaving the other half alone can still effect the unused half of the triode.

--- End quote ---
Grounding the unused side is the best, methinks.

steve:

--- Quote from: Response Audio on July 04, 2022, 10:00:19 AM ---Greetings and Happy 4th.

--- End quote ---

I was wondering if you are re wiring the socket for each tube, an adapter, or "toggle" type switching of pins?

cheers

steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version