Systemic Development > Tubes

Best current production EL 34s?

(1/3) > >>

malloy:
Disregarding any NOS El 34s, which of the current production EL 34s is the 'best'?  Mullard, JJ, Tesla, Tung-Sol, etc.? A very old thread from 2007 here says the Groove Tubes were good then went south.

Thanks!

Paul

tmazz:
Paul the "best" is really a relative term.

What is best for your system may not be the best in mine. Sonically each of the current production tube has its own individual character. The best one for you depends on your sonic preferences for the system. the speakers and other electronics that you use and how well each tube dovetails with the rest of your system to achieve your sonic goals.

Here is a web page from upscale audio that describes the sonic  flavor of various new production EL34s.

https://upscaleaudio.com/pages/the-ultimate-guide-to-tube-rolling-el34

Be careful when looking for EL34 comparison reviews online. EL34s are used quite often in guitar amps and may of the reviews out there are written from that perspective and not with any kind of eye towards reproducing a full range sound in a home audio system.

Jack:
Six of the "new production" brands are all made by the same company, New Sensor, in the same factories so how much different they sound from each other is debatable. They were able to acquire the naming rights from "legacy" companies like Mullard, Genalex, Tung Sol, Sovtek, and Svetlana to go along with their EH brand.  I have a small stash but if I had to buy new I would probably just buy the JJ's and be done.

tmazz:
I have not investigated the EL34s, but at lest with the small signal tubes like 12 AX7s and 12 AT7s they are not the same tubes with different names slapped on them. Even though they are made in the same factories the tubes from the various brands made by New Sensor each use different materials and plate reconfiguration. So they very easily can and in fact do sound different from each other.

malloy:

--- Quote from: tmazz on June 09, 2022, 08:24:28 PM ---Paul the "best" is really a relative term.

What is best for your system may not be the best in mine. Sonically each of the current production tube has its own individual character. The best one for you depends on your sonic preferences for the system. the speakers and other electronics that you use and how well each tube dovetails with the rest of your system to achieve your sonic goals.

Here is a web page from upscale audio that describes the sonic  flavor of various new production EL34s.

https://upscaleaudio.com/pages/the-ultimate-guide-to-tube-rolling-el34

Be careful when looking for EL34 comparison reviews online. EL34s are used quite often in guitar amps and may of the reviews out there are written from that perspective and not with any kind of eye towards reproducing a full range sound in a home audio system.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, most of the reviews I've read are for tube amps for guitars!

I guess what I really meant was "good enough" without spending over $60 or more a tube. I'm looking for a warm sounding tube with a 'tubey' midrange, but with enough detail, so it's a toss up between the reissue Mullards and the Tung-Sol.  I'd like to splurge on the Gold Lions, but not at those prices. The Prima Luna are 'cheap' enough to try as well.

I have some Electro Harmonix 6922s, and if the family sound is the same with their el34s, I know would not like them.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version