Author Topic: Grover ICs vs. Reality ICs  (Read 40384 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Grover ICs vs. Reality ICs
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
For the past year or so, I have used all Reality Cables in my system. Due to the purchase of a pair of mono block amps, I was now in need of a 2m pair of interconnects. I was ready to buy a new pair from Gregg and ended up finding a used 2m pair of the latest Grover SC. interconnects.

What can I expect to hear going from the Reality cable to the Grover cable? Is it wise to mix and match or should I have just bought the Reality cable to keep everything the same?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

Re: Grover ICs vs. Reality ICs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
I still prefer Gregg's but I think I'm in the minority these days. His ic's to me at least are far more relaxed and to be brutally honest, do less to the overall presentation which I personally prefer. I still like one version of Grover's ic's but that goes back a few years and I have no idea what version they may have been as it's hard to keep up. They were White if that matters at all. Other then those, I always found myself going back to Gregg's.

As for mixing and matching, I'm not a fan of doing this at any level. I'm a strong believer in using the same ic's, power cords, speaker wire etc throughout the system.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:13:03 AM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info. Question is, how do I use the same cables throughout their system when I am using your Violet PCs in my system  :)
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »
Let me also throw this out there, if anyone has a 2m pair of Reality ICs and wants to trade for my Grover's, I'm game!

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info. Question is, how do I use the same cables throughout their system when I am using your Violet PCs in my system  :)

Sorry..... :duh

I think your messing with me but just to be sure, what I meant was use the same power cord on everything in the system. If you are using a Violet on the amp, use it on everything else. If you are using Gregg's ic's, use them everywhere you need ic's and so on and so on.

Truth be told, I have played around with the Violet as a speaker wire and the results were interesting. Maybe one day I will explore it a little further.

I would never use one manufactures speaker wire on my left speaker and another on my right so why do it in other places in the system?  :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:44:48 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm just messin' with ya. I'm happy with my Black Sand and Reality cable combo...

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
Any idea when Grover will be finished with his latest tweaking to his ICs / SCs?
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »
I still prefer Gregg's but I think I'm in the minority these days. His ic's to me at least are far more relaxed and to be brutally honest, do less to the overall presentation which I personally prefer. I still like one version of Grover's ic's but that goes back a few years and I have no idea what version they may have been as it's hard to keep up. They were White if that matters at all. Other then those, I always found myself going back to Gregg's.

As for mixing and matching, I'm not a fan of doing this at any level. I'm a strong believer in using the same ic's, power cords, speaker wire etc throughout the system.

Nailed it--Grover Whiteys are his best,IMHO.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
Grover's cables have always excelled at clarity and detail, but like most cables, can be system dependent.   I suspect Reality vs Grover is a bit of the yin/yang - relaxed vs detailed.  All depends on which direction you want to take your system.

I will say that his latest speaker cables, the Sx, took a major step in the right direction.  They still have gobs of detail but more balanced top to bottom from the earlier speaker cables.

grover

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »
Howdy everyone, I've found nirvana. I've completely changed the Grover Sx and have discovered the most amazing cable. This is not the cable Carl had. I've never heard anything like it. Turns out Teflon was holding me back. I'd also like to say I heard the JPS SC3 series RCA and speaker cable here in my listening room with 2 other long time golden eared audiophiles over several days and we all thought they were nice but not what seems to be the prevailing notion around here. I thought the JPS RCA to be superior to the speaker cable which in my system and hearing was like a sugary candy coating on the music and very lacking in mid bass richness. For example with the Steve Hoffman mastered Bing Crosby recordings, one of the finest vocal recordings using ribbon microphones (the finest microphone for vocals); though the JPS SC3 speaker cable, all the baritone richness of his magnificent voice was missing. I perceived my cables to have better clarity and presentation. Here's a note on my system. http://www.groverhuffman.com/interconnects this link to my website shows a photo of Steve Hoffman's mastering room, the preamp the cream colored unit in the foreground and the gold 130-watt tube monoblocks by the speakers are my design and the units I use to evaluate cables. Here's another link confirming this http://www.symposiumusa.com/MonRoom1.html  Steve mastered on my amps so you know they are accurate and linear. I am so pleased to have discovered this amazing cable; it's completely enhanced my musical enjoyment. I have never been restricted to off the shelf electronics, and have been designing vacuum tube equipment for 40 years. This has given me the ability to improve all aspects of the music chain, allowing me the clarity to design cables. Of course in the real world there is off the shelf electronics, some sound dark, others bright, and cable design can offer as it would tone controls, this is not my philosophy and my cables will help weed out the weaker electronics IMHO. After all it's a passport to the original event we all desire as we enjoy the wonderful recordings of the past. What is better for a true music lover?

shep

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
Ummm...Grover you are a very naughty man :roll: Just when we think we have the best, there you go and do it again! Ok so to start the ball rolling: I have the last sc dot version. Do I get the same upgrade price as previously? This of course means another two week wait and burn-in but I'm game. The speaker cables are what really interest me...I have heard from other sources that Teflon is for some reason not ideal. You are confirming. I have Teflon-coated solid core occ and they are getting on my nerves now that my new amp is so damn revealing. Please don't tease! give us some real meat to chew on!

grover

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
Hi Shep, I'm always working to improve my cables. With my design and hand build I'm offered total freedom, unlike most cable manufacturers that have there designs made over seas, and can not change. I love my speaker cable. I found it most desirable over the much falluted JPS SC3.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »
Grover, can you comment on the differences you heard between your latest speaker cable and the JPS SC3?   I'm curious to know what you heard in your system between these. 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
I'm interested to know what your reference system consists of, including room size/treatments, etc.  It helps to know where you're coming from.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

HumanMedia

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:47:33 AM »
Grover, does this new cabling (material/technique?) mean a revised version of your interconnects as well or is it just for the speaker cabling?