Author Topic: Best Names in Gear  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Best Names in Gear
« on: November 04, 2008, 04:53:30 AM »
Ever heard a brand name that just made you laugh or you thought was cool? 
I was reading the latest tube thread where 'Gold Lion' and 'Black Sable' tubes were likened to condom names.  It reminded me of some of the funny/cool names in gear I've heard like 'Ampzilla' and Manley's fish theme; Stingray, Snapper, Shrimp... ;)
Anyone remember some cool names?
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

Re: Best Names in Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:28:16 AM »
ICE amps, they're coooool.

OK, I know this is about audio and I'm OT immediately but check out Cove Bikes in North Vancouver, BC.  Their bikes are called Foreplay, G-Spot, Shocker, Stiffee, Peeler (don't even know that one), Sanchez, STD, Hummer, Handjob, and Hustler.  They do booming business in Canada too, they're not as uptight as us generally.

Site:

http://www.covebike.com/bikes/index.html

Sorry for the detour but I figure somebody will get a kick out of that.

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »
The Bottlehead stuff. SEX amp, foreplay, seduction, paramour. Not to mention the model is quite shapely. ;)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
Ray Samuels Audio has a military aircraft theme. Tomahawk, SR-71, Raptor. But every aircraft name is preceded by "Emmeline."   

The name of the product is "Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline The Raptor"
:?   

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
ICE amps, they're coooool.

OK, I know this is about audio and I'm OT immediately but check out Cove Bikes in North Vancouver, BC.  Their bikes are called Foreplay, G-Spot, Shocker, Stiffee, Peeler (don't even know that one), Sanchez, STD, Hummer, Handjob, and Hustler.  They do booming business in Canada too, they're not as uptight as us generally.

Site:

http://www.covebike.com/bikes/index.html

Sorry for the detour but I figure somebody will get a kick out of that.

Those bikes look awesome.  If things go well next year (financially and physically) a Cove might be in my future.. but I might also get a Turner.. but that's for another topic. ;)  Great names and appropriately done.

-C

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
They are burly bikes, I see a lot of them at the Whistler bike park, there's likely nowhere demanding on the planet.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
Their bikes are called Foreplay, G-Spot, Shocker, Stiffee, Peeler (don't even know that one), Sanchez, STD, Hummer, Handjob, and Hustler. 

Those bikes look awesome.  If things go well next year (financially and physically) a Cove might be in my future..

I look forward to asking Christine, "How do you like Carl's Stiffee?"  :rofl:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 04:54:39 AM »
That's a funny one Rich...." Carl's Stiffee "..... :rofl:

But back to .... "Ever heard a brand name that just made you laugh..."

Juicy Music....their preamp's....Blueberry or Peach.

Funny names, but pretty good equipment. 8)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »
I hear the stiffee is easily fatigued so, I may have to get something else to keep up with my new pace. ;)

The Juicy Peach!  Good one.. I'd forgotten that one, and would still like to hear it one day. 

-C

bush2

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:24:19 PM »
I never heared of them before.They do booming business in Canada too, they're not as uptight as us generally.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
The Bottlehead stuff. SEX amp, foreplay, seduction, paramour. Not to mention the model is quite shapely. ;)

I heard somewhere that the "model" is his wife.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
"Ampzilla" was made by Great American Sound (GAS...kinda funny itself).  They also made the FM receiver "Charlie the Tuner."

Adcom, in it's early days, had a series of products that all began with "GF." The amps were GFA, Pres were GFP, etc.  "GF" stood for "Great Fuckin'" as in "Great Fuckin' Amp" and "Great Fuckin' Preamp." At the time, not surprisingly, Adcom was based in New Jersey. 

Oh, the tuner wasn't very good.   The folks at the factory said that "GFT" stood for "Grossly Flawed Tuner."