Author Topic: What drives an Audiophile?  (Read 7787 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
What drives an Audiophile?
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
The audiophile's behavior is curious. He is seeking something, what is it?

Does audio excitement wear off? As the system gets better and better, our brains adjust to the stimulation so the fidelity becomes routine. New components that cause tears from endorphin rush soon wear off and just "do their job." Are we that jaded? Music that was once very exciting with lower performing equipment, is now mundane with even higher performing equipment. Each bump is exciting for a time, then brain gets used to it. If not we would all be endorphin junkies.

What if we were to accept an adequate level of fidelity and eschew the addict-like stimulation of gear upgrades? The stimulation of upgrades is inevitably neutralized by the brain anyway, leaving the gear junkie looking for the next fix. Deciding to be satisfied with the existing system even receiver and polks allows more investment in music, which is infinitely variable and always new and exciting. The brain will adjust to the polks and receive same enjoyment from new music.

There are far more CDs out there than there are compatible amps and speakers. Is there a continuum between excitement of music and excitement of gear/sonic accuracy? Both are real, both wear off eventually, music is cheaper and some songs excitement factor lasts longer due to spiritual stimulation. Example is star spangled banner, I well up whenever I hear it, even from a 9yo singing it at the racetrack. Does any gear generate excitement forever? Maybe if held in reserve for special occasions?

On the other hand, the excitement and discovery available from CDs is more intense when listened through high fidelity gear.  You get more bang for your music buying buck when you hear more of it on a accurate audio system. But where is the sweet spot, point of diminishing return? Obviously it is not the same for everybody because systems which are fully satisfying to their owners range from $500 to $500k. Does it have to do with how much information is contained in their favorite type of music? Rock lovers don't listen to air and tonal finesse, the kick drum beat feel is more important, so tube tone is less important than high current so $300 receiver might get it done. The opera lover needs unlimited power and perfect vocal tone to get his jollies. Does music preference determine system/price satisfaction? Most audiophiles listen to all kinds of music, so maybe this is not a valid idea.

There is also the idea that we gravitate toward the kind of music that sounds best on our system, which suggests that sonic stimulation is a part of the equation, not purely music/spiritual enjoyment. We like to hear the magic of sonic accuracy, aka detail, space, bandwidth, often more intense than a live show.

So is it that we know when the sound system is "good enough" to satisfy with our favorite music? Or is "good enough" an ego reaction to the dwindling bank account or rising spousal anguish? Will an audiophile spend every last available cent on gear or can he stop willingly with cash left over? Is the system an appliance or a girlfriend?
-Rich

miklorsmith

Re: What drives an Audiophile?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:05 AM »
Great topic Rich.  This one could go on and on and on and . . .

From TedB in another place:

There has been a lot of discussion, over the years, about audiophiles and music lovers . . . Audiophiles (and I'm one of them, trying not to be, but it's an addiction) believe that there is a higher standard than "their own ears".  They believe that there is a perfection, or set of empiricals, that must be set as a goal, even if their own ears don't agree.  It is this reason (perfection) that causes audiophiles to die as audiophiles.  It's a goal that can never really be attained.  And not because of the obvious, perfection, but because of the reality that there are no real sets of empiricals...except for low distortion and a few simple other necessities.  The rest is up to the beholder.

Complicating this goal is the fact that the variables that audiophiles are given to work with are almost limitless.  It's like, as a child, on a great family vacation, having your parents take you to your first great restaurant, with all the hoopla of the service and the smells and sights and sounds, and tasting a great dish.......... and trying to replicate it later in life.  Too many variables, most of which you'll never hear/smell/see again.  But the goal has been set!  I sometimes think that all audiophiles became audiophiles cuz they heard a great hifi as a child and are spending the rest of their life trying to replicate that sound.  I wish I knew what/where/when mine was.  Probably my uncle's place.  He had great tastes in music; first place I ever heard real stereo come from anywhere but left and right.

So...the variables...for us...  room, hearing ability (changes every year), cables, sources, software, impedance mismatches, tubes, amps, preamps, speaker size, speaker design, crossover design, active/passive, speaker placement, integration w/ or w/out subs, age of components, vibration isolation, ac conditioning, tweeks, listening position, etc. etc.....and the worst of all....the combination thereof.

Music lovers, on the other hand...they have it all.  They trust their ears, some of them actually know what real instruments sound like ( Smile), and they are happy with good sound.....gremlins and all.  They spend their money on music.  I'm that person.....sometimes.

From BobM in another place:  We are all compromized ... our ears, our rooms, our wallets, our spouses and SO's, our experiences, our exposure to live music, our likes and dislikes, our hearing, our ability to write long meandering sentences ... To know onesself is more than just an audiophile goal. It is something most strive for all their lives and never achieve. So who thinks they can achieve it in our little hobby either, especially since there are people out there changing the rules, and the tools all the time. The variables are almost infinite, so the experiment is flawed. That doesn't mean you can't have fun or enjoy your systema nd the music it produces. It does mean that you will always be compromizing. So maybe the answer is to relax, have a beverage of choice and spin some disks. Isn't that supposed to sooth the savage beastie?

There are so many facets to this that I won't try to encapsulate my thoughts in one post but will come back to it from time to time.  A few current highlights:

I think every one of us audioheads has the pursuer of sonic goals (audiophile) and lover of content (music lover) inside.  We wouldn't care about the audiophile stuff if we didn't love the music and we wouldn't have nice systems if "just the music" was enough.  I really liked Jeff Day's Musicality piece when it was released but it's strange to me that now "audiophile" has taken on a negative connotation with some folks.  We all are both and I think each of us constantly struggles with where on the continuum we personally fall.

I believe there are gear combinations that can make a person happy for the long haul.  Of course it depends on the person and how well they know themselves.  For instance I don't believe I would ever be satisfied with "normal" speakers for any extended period but having found ones that I like I think I could settle for lesser amps/preamps/sources delivered by those speakers long-term.  This is my music lover statement.  The flip side is I'm in the process of upgrading my preamp when there is NOTHING wrong with the Lamm.  heh. 

There is always the pursuit of "more" which is the audiophile talking.  The music lover hopefully is a sanity check as an unbridled audiophile will never be happy and will always be poor.  However there are endless stories of musicians with "crap" systems with our lot speculating that either they don't need as much help imagining the performance, or alternately that all reproduction falls so short as to be a meaningless pursuit.

Without that audiophile bug, we would never ask "what if".  I've heard in numerous places that damping factor is heavily influenced by speaker cabling.  I recently dumped my 500 wpc Crown K-2 amp for $750 in favor of 2 bridged Behringer A500s (200 wpc) I got new for $340.  This was a significant upgrade in bass performance, going from 500 wpc to 200 wpc.  I attribute the improvement to using 8' balanced runs of IC and 15" lamp cord speaker cables.  I haven't hooked the long speaker cables up to the Behringers to confirm it's the cable length responsible for the upgrade but I think I know the answer.  My complaint before wasn't total output or transitional speed (as in walking bass) but in kick drum punch and overall room pressurization speed - basically what would commonly be assumed to be damping factor issues.  My observation has been EXACTLY what I hoped/assumed.  Some folks would dismiss this as "the error of fulfilling expecations" - whatever.

Again, great topic.  I'm very interested to hear what others have to say.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:41:29 AM by miklorsmith »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:23 AM »
Good topic...although maybe more cerebral than I am capable of  :lol:.

This particular audiophile is looking the re-create a reasonable facsimile of the 'real' thing...even though I know that is NOT possible with most recordings...out there. However, once in awhile...a marvelous recording comes along that lets you forget how things 'sound' and just let go and lose yourself in the performance. To me, that is what makes the pursuit worthwhile.

I tend to remain relatively happy with the systems that I have put together...over the years, and usually don't make frequent changes. That's not to say that everything is/has been perfect, but certainly acceptable...especially before our G2G's...wherein one has a chance to listen to toally new components/systems and perhaps have an 'ear' opening experience.

I would have to say that I am VERY satisfied with the state of my current system, and other than (possibly) making a couple of cabling tweaks...over time...I don't see a need to make any additional changes. At least until something miraculously better comes along, and then only if reasonably priced.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
This particular audiophile is looking the re-create a reasonable facsimile of the 'real' thing...even though I know that is NOT possible with most recordings...out there. However, once in awhile...a marvelous recording comes along that lets you forget how things 'sound' and just let go and lose yourself in the performance. To me, that is what makes the pursuit worthwhile.

Well said.  In addition, I try to be realistic and have something that allows me to just listen and not worry about something offensive in the reproduction that reaches out, slaps me in the face, and makes me painfully aware that it's an imperfect reproduction.  That's why I look for:

- Warm and organic over the last iota of detail.  A REAL performance doesn't have tons of detail.  It doesn't sound uber-clean and pristine.  It has a 'bite' and 'guts' to it.

- Sins of omission rather than sins of commission.  We lose things in real live performances all the time due to audience, venue, etc.  That's tolerable and real.  Having a spike at 1.5kHz trying to part my hair and worsen my tinnitus, high end that's rolled off at 10kHz, etc. are not real.

- Does it make me tap my toes!  PRAT for another overused term.  If I don't feel like boogeying (sp?) then it's not doing it's job

Sometimes we get all to hung up in the hardware for the sake of the hardware.  Many times, the hunt is chase is more fun than catching the game.  I'm as guilty of that as anyone.  However, I change my stuff pretty rarely.  It takes a LOT to get me to buy something.  It has to do a significantly better job and/or address a fundamental weakness of the system without introducing any other issues of it's own before I plunk down a lot of cash.

Bryan
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 10:39:41 AM by bpape »
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
I think the last thing your stereo system should do is dictate what music you listen to. If your system is doing it's job and delivering a High Fidelity reproduction of the signal you fed into it,it should sound good no matter what musical genre you feed it. I will have to disagree with Bryan when it comes to the subject of detail and how much you hear at a live performance. It have found that this is completely situationally dependent. If you sit 15ft. to 20 ft. from a jazz quartet you will hear an astonishing amount of detail, from the spit in the Sax to the delicate brush work on the cymbals, its all there. Tenth row center at a symphonic concert is yet another type of experience. The point is, no matter what the music is or how it was miked,I want to hear what was recorded without the system editorializing or censoring the content as to how much information it should deliver to my ears. The thing I have noticed is that there is never any distortion present in a live unamplified performance. Distortion doesn't occur in nature, it is an artifact added when we reproduce the live experience in our homes or amplify a live performance. My goal for the last thirty years has been to continually reduce the amount I have to tolerate when listening to music in my home and avoid amplified live performances when ever possible.
Scotty

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
Agreed on the distortion Scotty. 

I guess what I was alluding to about the detail is how some reproduction systems just are SO in your face with minutia relative to the 'main' music.  I'll agree, if you're sitting close, I want to hear those things that I could hear.  But, I don't want them brought to the foreground as some systems do.

Brushwork, cymbal and chime overtones, bodies of stringed instruments, the resonance of a large scale piano sounding board - absolutely - I wanna hear it all.  But I wanna hear it as though I'm listening to it naturally, not as though my head is inside the cello body, cheeks stuck to the snare drum, etc.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
So maybe it is the sonic thrill of detail and full range power mixed together with spiritual joy of the composition, performance and harmonic content together that drive the audiophile, with different proportions for everyone? I have had peak listening experiences at both extremes and wouldn't give up either end.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:22:09 PM »
 Addressing the question directly,"What drives an Audiophile?" I think it is probably a form of OCD. It's kind of like the perception of whether a cup is half full or half empty. If the only thing you can think of is whether there is something wrong somewhere and you are always listening for what is wrong with how your system sounds you may have a problem that goes beyond the confines of the hobby. Listening for what is wrong all of the time is an easy trap to fall into once you realize that you can hear differences. The trick is to realize when you got it right and stop trying to fix what isn't broken. I stopped being an OCD audiophile back in 1990 and have never looked back. I have had a steady evolution of increasingly higher resolution gear and speakers but I have not suffered from the "grass is greener syndrome". Almost all of the commercially available gear that I have heard in the last 20 years has not impressed me and I haven't been interested enough to try to figure out what went wrong when I auditioned it in a "audio salon",what ever the heck that is. My somewhat jaded opinion of course.
Scotty
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:52:48 PM by _Scotty_ »

Phil

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:42:04 PM »
I've been asking myself this question often lately.  What is this weird perfection I'm looking for?  One of the quotes above made me think about first hearing music in my home.  When I ws a kid (150 years ago), my Dad would blast his stereo on Sundays and for some reason I loved it.  Perhaps I've been trying to recreate that enjoyment.  But can the love of that musical experience really be separated from the time in which it was created (ie, carefree childhood)?  Hell, I don't know.  But I think the same basic drive --achieving bliss through the reproduction of music -- does indeed drive audiophiles.  We all may go about it in different ways, and we definitely hear differently, but it is the sonic ambrosia that we seek.

I do agree with much of what has been said.  Gross distortion or stuff that slaps me in the face ruins the experience.  But so does a homoginized sound.  I think I've become a bit of a detail freak.  Listening to jazz, the detail does indeed simulate the live experience. 

As for getting that unamplified sound that occurs in a large venue.  I don't believe it is possible.  So I don't even try.  Great topic.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »
What has driven this audiophile is a need to fix something.  I'm an analyst and I like solving problems.  That's just who I am.  It's fun to form a method and to figure out some constants, then apply what I know to address an issue. 

I've always enjoyed making the equipment work in various ways, experimenting, making it better, etc. (often it got much worse before it got better.. ;) )  But the joy of this hobby has been in the problem-solving for me.  Music has inspired me but not as much.  I love certain music.  But I think I only like about 4% of all the music I've heard.  I have a huge, wide assortment of music because I've seeked what moves me all my life.  But once I hear what I like, it requires the best possible listening scenario, my undivided attention, and freedom to listen how I like.

The new experience is a thrill.  But the 'experience' can be had anywhere.  Where were you the first time you heard your favorite song?  What did you do directly after?  Found the music, obtained it, played it in your best system, right?  That's fun.. And it becomes a part of the original experience... which, unfortunately gets 'cheapened' the more you hear it... and especially the more you hear it in places that aren't cool... For instance when your peers laugh at how stupid your music sounds.  It's not 'devastating' but it cheapens it a little.  Now I have to defend it, or ignore them.  I usually give a 'look'. ha.  Or if you hear it at Applebees, the grocery store, etc.

However, that said... walking around a little tipsy in a grocery store and some Neil Diamond comes on... now that's a different story.  :lol:

So, what drives me?  Solving the problem that I've created... Or creating the sex machine for my favorite musical porn of the moment.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
If the only thing you can think of is whether there is something wrong somewhere and you are always listening for what is wrong with how your system sounds you may have a problem that goes beyond the confines of the hobby. Listening for what is wrong all of the time is an easy trap to fall into once you realize that you can hear differences.

Very well said.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 08:55:12 AM »
If you can fix what sounds wrong, the system becomes more flexible to play more kinds of music, and provides more enjoyment. Defining "what is wrong" is an art in itself, you gotta choose your battles and prioritize or you end up with a shitty sounding expensive set. Many "problems" can be fixed without spending money. The art of the audio hobby is improving the setup, not upgrading the gear although sometimes that is required to make progress.  YOu gotta have a goal in mind.  But the goal may become more refined as you learn more of what is possible.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
So you're a 'goal-digger'? I knew it! ;)
Yeah, the goal drives the problem-solving for sure.. It takes 'audio nervosa' to get to 'audio nirvana' unfortunately.  But, a goal is just that... If you fall short, you still moved in the right direction.  If you move backward, well... you have to start over. :(  That's life, though.  It's pretty safe to 'risk again' in this hobby which is why it's easy to stay in it. 

What frustrates me the most is that the constants are hard to use as predictors outside of any system.  A pair of speakers in room A sound different in room B.  I can define variables all day and come up with a massive formula of what 'should' work.. and have it be proven wrong with a different pair of ears.  We'd each have our own formula.. which is what we do. 

I know that the Anhialator Amp plus Thunder Lizard Speakers needs to be tamed a little in the highs by Snakola Speaker Cables.  Now, if you change ANYthing, that formula doesn't work.  So, you can make a lot of 'formulas of the moment'. 

Not to pick on SP Tech.. but I heard them sound good in NY... then I got a pair in my room and didn't like them at all.  I heard them at Rich's and didn't dislike them but didn't love them.  The NY pair is using an amp that fits the SP perfectly.  (to my tastes, in that room, that day) 

Same thing with the Usher's in Rich's system.. First time I heard them playing with the Snappers I wasn't pleased at all.  Last time I was over, it was a different sound entirely and I loved it.  Same amps, same speakers, same room, different orientation.

I have a hard time recommending or not recommending anything these days because what works at this moment means nothing to someone else.  I've stopped reviewing gear for that reason.  I don't feel qualified given the environments I've used in the past.

Now.. moving forward... look out!  When the sound room is finished.. (My accountant tells me it will be within 6 months.)... THEN and ONLY THEN will I feel I'm in a position to state that X sounds different than Y because I'm actually listening in the most controlled room I could(n't) afford with every possible acoustic theory and electrical backbone employed to allow for true comparisons.  And even then, I don't know how 'applicable' it will be in other systems or to others' ears but I think it will provide a nice baseline.

-C

bacobits

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
Hi guys, new here but not to audio (30 years). I'm old!
Long time on AC where I've seen you all.

What drives an Audiophile?

Excessive and compulsive behavior.
Can't leave well enough alone. Too much time on our hands?
Lately, I have been getting sick of changing equipment out
but that urge to hear a bit more is still there.
I recently just sold almost everything and slimed everything down.
New house (NC) and smaller room.

There is that certain something feeling when the system is right on.
I have had it with most of my systems and most of the time it can be coaxed out in various ways.
Enjoying what I have now for 1/3 the cost of some systems I have had in the past.

Den

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:01:19 PM by bacobits »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »
Awesome, welcome, Den! 
There's a lot of folks from AC here.  Hope to see you around more.
-Carl