Author Topic: New Headphones - AKG K701  (Read 4302 times)

westcoastman

New Headphones - AKG K701
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
Just got a pair of AKG K701 headphones yesterday afternoon.  Hooked them and left music playing at a moderate level since then.  I’ll give them the same treatment for a few more days allowing them to fully “blossom”. Already have the Grado SR80 (not enough bass and a lot of highs), Bose QuietComfort 2 (too much bass, low middle and average highs).  These AKG K701 should lay in between both give me a flatter response.   
The AKG K701s are monster in size compared even to the Bose Quiet Comfort.  You would scare somebody if you wore them outside your own home.
I am anxious to give them a good listen in a couple of days.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: New Headphones - AKG K701
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
Cool! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...
Any chance we can get a picture of you listening?  ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

canyoneagle

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »
I have owned a pair of K-701's for a couple of years now, and I LOVE 'em.  My break-in was at LEAST 100 hours.
I finally got off my duff and got a portable headphone amp for them (the headamp AE-2), and I now understand why most people recomment the use of an amp with these fantastic 'phones.
While I was never disappointed without the amp, the K-701's truly come alive with a bit of 'oomph' behind them.

My needs limited me to a battery-powered amp, but most people highly recommend tube headphone amps with the K-701's.

I look forward to hearing your impressions, and CONGRATS!

Warmly,
Michael

westcoastman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
It looks like I have at least a couple weeks to go then on the break-in. I can only run them with any decent volume at night so I am getting about 7 hours an evening on them.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:02:39 AM »
I second the opinion of using an amp w/these phones.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

westcoastman

westcoastman

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
These AKG K701 were exactly what I was looking for. They sound just great.  Can definitely tell the difference between a good recording and a not so good recording.  I have had them burning in for about a week now and they do sound better than when I first got them.  I find the using the headphone jack on my Arcam A90 gives me the power I need to listen to these comfortably. Soundstage is just awesome. As for comfort, I fell asleep a few time with them on listening to them at a pretty decent level. I haven't done that since my early audio days in the 70's with my Koss Pro 4AA.

The more I listen to them, the more I want to use them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 04:37:09 PM by westcoastman »