Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027314 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4140 on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »

Classic Records 200g mono Blue Note reissue.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4141 on: August 24, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

ORG 180g 45RPM Impulse! reissue.  This one sounds a touch bass heavy but is otherwise a fine sounding pair of records.  I know most people familiar with Hartman think his recording with Coltrane is his best, but this album is my favorite due to it's loose, lightly swinging tempos.  A couple of fine ballads are also here to balance things out.  Hartman is backed on this recording by Illinois Jacquet on tenor sax, Kenny Burrell and Jim Hall on guitar, Hank Jones on piano, Milt Hinton on Bass, and Elvin Jones on drums.  Great album.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4142 on: August 24, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Truthfully J. I recently got the Coltrane-Hartman disk, not a big fan of the music.

I prefer Lush Life as an instumental.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #4143 on: August 24, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

LOL!  You had to name one of the few Coltrane albums that doesn't do anything for me.  Different strokes I suppose.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4144 on: August 24, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
And that's what makes life worthwhile, it would s*ck if we were all the same.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4145 on: August 24, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

A DMM promo copy from EMI/France. I must profess I only stumbled into the smoldering remnants of the DMM brushfire that raged across forum boards awhile ago, I had no idea what it meant. I do like the sound of this album, it sounds a lot like the cd. Guess I'd need to get a first pressing to compare.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4146 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
I like Trane on LushLife, but Donald Burd is an embarrassment on that.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4147 on: August 24, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »

Pharoah Sanders Quartet - "Crescent With Love"

Sanders will be forever known as the tenor saxophonist who stood beside John Coltrane during the last years of the ultimate tenor saxophonist's life, and on this 2 CD set, five of the 12 compositions are by Coltrane. The focus is not on Coltrane the volcanic avant-gardist, however, but on Coltrane the underrated melodicist and romantic. Sanders leads a mainstream piano quartet through restrained, even lyric, arrangements of Coltrane's blues and ballads, and makes them sound as tuneful and tender as the album's standards, "Misty," "In a Sentimental Mood," and "Body and Soul." What also emerges is Sanders's distinctive voice on the sax--as full of throaty, vibrant overtones when he's crooning as when he's roaring. --Geoffrey Himes

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4148 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:15 AM »
Jerome -

I don't find it a great album either, I do tend to gravitate to the slower, more 'bluesy' tracks on albums, and the title track is pleasant to my ear, the remainder, meh.

LOL!  You had to name one of the few Coltrane albums that doesn't do anything for me.  Different strokes I suppose.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4149 on: August 25, 2011, 05:32:43 AM »
"Hear My Blues"
Al Smith | Format: Vinyl

Here's one I bought as it has Lockjaw Davis with Scottie girl on the B3, I had never heard of Al Smith, this was a find. If I want a guy singing over a quality backing jazz group, this is it. Smith was a gospel singer, who occassionally ventured out of gospel to sing a jazz-influenced approach to blues and R&B. He only had 2 albums, I stumbled onto this one, still looking for the other.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4150 on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »

I just cleaned my needle for the first time with the jello lump thing. Cymbals much nicer.

eleazar

« Reply #4151 on: August 25, 2011, 02:01:41 PM »
Black Sabbath

CD

eleazar

« Reply #4152 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
Blood Sweat and Tears

CD

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4153 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

On 1970's Liberty Blue Note Vinyl

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4154 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »

Liberty Blue Note vinyl