Systemic Development > Multiple Personality Disorders

Music In 5.1

<< < (2/2)

bpape:

--- Quote from: ill@ease on November 02, 2007, 11:44:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on October 26, 2007, 08:58:23 AM ---Has anyone heard a multichannel system do justice to the music?
--- End quote ---

And so began the search for well-mixed 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD-As, which is a whole new adventure in its own right.

--- End quote ---

That says a ton right there.  Getting decent recordings in 5.1 is very difficult.  They've in general not gotten the hang of it quite yet.  Sitting in the middle of the orchestra is great - if you're a flute player.  Otherwise, I'd like to sit in the audience thank you.

Bryan

Carlman:

--- Quote from: bpape on November 03, 2007, 06:29:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: ill@ease on November 02, 2007, 11:44:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on October 26, 2007, 08:58:23 AM ---Has anyone heard a multichannel system do justice to the music?
--- End quote ---

And so began the search for well-mixed 5.1 channel SACDs and DVD-As, which is a whole new adventure in its own right.

--- End quote ---

That says a ton right there.  Getting decent recordings in 5.1 is very difficult.  They've in general not gotten the hang of it quite yet.  Sitting in the middle of the orchestra is great - if you're a flute player.  Otherwise, I'd like to sit in the audience thank you.

Bryan

--- End quote ---

I agree.... And what Bryan said says a lot, too... Knowing your preference for how music is presented....
Do you want:
1- to hear a copy of what was happening in a live performance or
2- the sound to be created as if it's a new, live experience in your own room? 

I prefer the latter because more often than not, it's better than the live event (for rock and most jazz) to me.  I call it a '2nd generation original' concept.  I think 5.1 sound is aiming to be more like #1. 

Maybe I'm splitting hairs on a concept... because in reality, everyone is really hearing a 2nd generation original but it's the goal that's important to me.  I want it to sound like the band is in a space that would fit correctly in the space(s) they are playing... and the instruments are the right size... I know a lot of this will have to do with the recording technique but for the few that get it right, I'd like to have my personal environment present it perfectly.

-C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version