Music Ward > Music Discussion

Sonny Rollins CD Without a Song-Concert for 911

(1/1)

rollo:
Just can't get it off the CDP. Sonny at his age can still blow that sax. The music is great and the sonics A+. What more can I say. If you like Sonny its a no brainer. If you are unfamiliar with his music I cannot think of a better place to start.

rollo

spudco:
I agree!  Sonny Rollins must be sax god.  Unbelievable chops.

Phil:
Sonny was a phenomenon at the latest (5oth) Monterey Jazz Festival.  He had been there at the first festival too!  So here he was, 50 years later, looking cool in his shades and white hair (he is 77).  But that horn!  From his first note I knew this night was going to be something special.  As he moved across the stage, filling the arena with an enormous and musical sound, I could only think "the old lion can still roar."  And what a sound it was.

As he was giving a musical lesson to his young players, encouraging them to give their all (they were all impressive) he was also telling a musical story.  The story wasn't about age but about wisdom, full of life and optimism.  At the end of the hour he thanked everyone and said he would be back for the 100th.  I believe him.   

I'd love to hear about performances others have seen that have left a lasting impression.

rollo:
Phil,
         The man is amazing at 77. My favorite LP is "Plus Three". If you do not have it get it. Sonny at his best IMO.

rollo

Phil:
Rollo,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Have not heard it but it is on its way.   If you have other suggestions, please don't hesitate to send them my way.

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version