Systemic Development > Optometry Equipment

Power Cords and TV

<< < (2/3) > >>

satfrat:

--- Quote from: tmazz on November 07, 2018, 04:26:25 AM ---Hmmmm......  measured accuracy vs subjectively pleasant, where have I heard that argument before????

--- End quote ---

Ah yes, that is true in the home of the unacknowledged public. But the fact remains the goal for a calibrated display device is to replicate the movie theater experience. The projectors in theaters have all been calibrated to ISF standards, there is a constant there, it's not made up to appease to the public's perception of a "subjectively pleasant" picture. Of course in the home, standards get thrown out the window. The good news is in the last 20 years or so since ISF calibration knowledge has become mainstream within the industry, most tv manufacturer's are calibrating their TV's so there is at least 1 viewing setting that has a closely calibrated gray scale. But as it is in audio with Bose, the TV buying public generally still think the brightest picture is the best picture. Damn lucky thing, that's not the case when you drop $10 to go to the movie theater. :D

For transparency, I have in the past cut tv power cords, installed IEC terminals and added costly power cords and did enjoy a perceived improvement. No argument there if that's what you're striving for.

Cheers,
Robin

rollo:
  OK calibrated it is. Thanks Satfrat. But but the power conditioner [ Digibuss] and Uber still make a further improvement.

charles

satfrat:

--- Quote from: rollo on May 15, 2019, 10:57:31 AM ---  OK calibrated it is. Thanks Satfrat. But but the power conditioner [ Digibuss] and Uber still make a further improvement.

charles

--- End quote ---

You might want to keep in mind that the light output of a calibrated display device is quite lower than the norm (that being a bright showroom floor) and is meant to be watched in an ambient lighting environment. Think of a movie theater situation or a home theater projection system that demands ambient light.

In my experience, I've always had Jim Doolittle of Waltham, Ma do my calibrations, mainly cuz he was willing to make the 3 hour trip. Even tho I had done the research on ISF-calibration, I was so disappointed with the washed out picture after Jim's initial visit that I accused him of not only raping my Sony XBR but I paid him to do it. Well a week later, he came back up, mainly to educate me on what he did and why, something he admitted he failed to do as he was in a hurry to get back to Boston to pick up his child from school. But honestly in a week, I had acclimated myself to the picture and had recognized the contrast and color improvements that made the picture as accurate as possible.

Jim has done 3 calibrations for me with the 2014 calibration of my current Panasonic ST60 plasma TV (the last year they were made) being my last. I have never deviated from his settings. Guess what I'm saying Charles is give the calibration some time,, or if your tv room is inherently bright, maybe you can have the calibrator to 2 calibration settings, 1 for the bright daytime and 1 for a more ambient nighttime. It was nonissue for me personally but I know folks that have this done and calibrators that offer it cuz as you well know, the customer is ALWAYS right. LOL :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

James Edward:
ISF Calibration... There’s a minefield, unless the customer is educated about the result, and signs an agreement about the result.
Back in the day I used the crude tools available via laptop to adjust tv’s to a semblance of ISF calibrations. Most people did not like the results. It’s almost like when speaker makers use anechoic chambers to design their speakers. No one lives in an anechoic chamber, nor do they live in a place that darkens like a theater.
Just throwing in my 2 cents.
PS- I also have had my rear projection sets ISF calibrated, by Kevin Miller. Same response regarding picture from friends: “ too soft”, etc., etc., etc.

rollo:
  Interesting Jim. For me glare is a bad thing due to a eye surgery gone wrong. So the darkening was a blessing. Valid point for others to consider.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version